Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
s.peters
Message 1 of 3 (136 Views)
Accepted Solution

New drawing of slightly modified assembly

136 Views, 2 Replies
05-03-2012 09:11 AM

I'm sure there is an easy solution to this but i can't find it by myself.

Lets say i have an assembly with about 100 parts on it.

I save it and create a drawing from it.

Then i need to do an almost identical model where only 2 parts of the assembly are replaced by 2 new parts.

I change the two parts and then 'save as' a new file name. 

Is there a way to quickly create a drawing of this new assembly without having to start the drawing from scratch?

If i change the original assembly without making a copy of it then the original drawing is changed (which i don't want) i want to keep the old assembly and old drawing and also create a new slightly different assembly with its corresponding drawing?

But it seems silly spending time redoing the drawing when there are only 2 parts changed.

Any idea? Thanks in advance. 

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 2 of 3 (129 Views)

Re: New drawing of slightly modified assembly

05-03-2012 09:35 AM in reply to: s.peters

Hi s.peters,

With Inventor 2011 and later you can point drawig files to different models by:

• Copying the original drawing and assembly in Windows Explorer
  • Then opening the copied drawing and going to the Manage tab and using the Replace Model Reference button.
  • Browse and select the new copied assembly

With Inventor 2010 you can do the same thing, if you have the subscription advantage pack installed.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

Contributor
s.peters
Message 3 of 3 (108 Views)

Re: New drawing of slightly modified assembly

05-04-2012 01:06 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thank you this is perfect.

I was worried that it might remove all the dimensions, balloons and other anotations, but it doesn't. Its all exactly the same but with the components that i have changed. 

Thank you very much, this wil lmake a massive difference.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.