Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network templates

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
singhy66
693 Views, 6 Replies

Network templates

Hi,

Just been told by users on Inventor that they are having issues with their template files. This has been going on for a while.

So we have mapped a drive on the network that has the templates being used.

The issue is when going to open/new we can see the templates but when clicking on them they recieve the folliwng error in the attachement.

It's really hit and miss. I've re-mapped the drive with a differant drive name and sometimes it works, others it doesn't.

I've looked at it being network isses but everything seeems fine. Also there is a user who can use the mapped drive with no issue.

Have also checked file permissions and everything is setup fine.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ampster402
in reply to: singhy66

going by the screenshot my first guess would be the Inventor templates in that location are not 2013 templates....they are possibly from an older or newer version.

Double check that you have placed 2013 templates in that location.

Message 3 of 7
cbenner

First question that popped into my mind is why would you look for templates when using "Open"?  New I can understand. Other than that I would agree, there is something wrong with the template files themselves.  Is that 2013 you are using?

Message 4 of 7
Cadmanto

Give us a little history.  When you say this has been going on for a while, how long exactly are we talking?  Before you last upgraded to 2013? Or since you upgraded to 2013 or any other version.

Have these exact templates ever worked without giving you issues?  If so when and what version was being used.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 7

Hi singhy66,

I think the message is telling you that it is not finding a file called Standard.dwg in the specified template location path.

Supporting links:

http://docs.autodesk.com/INVPRO/2010/ENU/Autodesk%20Inventor%202010%20Help/index.html?url=WS1a919382...

"Autodesk Inventor needs a valid drawing template file when opening AutoCAD .dwg files directly. By default, Autodesk Inventor uses the Standard drawing template files (Standard.idw or Standard.dwg) located in the Templates folder for the current project or in the Default Templates location. Override this behavior by specifying a full path and file name to any Autodesk Inventor drawing (*.idw;*.dwg) in the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion14.0\Applets\DrawingLayout\Preferences\General\Standard Template Override"

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2013/ENU/?caas=caas/vhelp/help-dev-autodesk-com/v/Inventor/enu...

"Autodesk Inventor needs a valid drawing template file when opening AutoCAD .dwg files. The default drawing template file (Standard.dwg) is located in the Templates folder. If appropriate, you can replace the default template with a customized Standard.dwg file."

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

For future reference -

when capturing an error dialog box like that if you use Ctrl Print Screen - only the active dialog box will be copied to the clipboard for pasting into MS Paint (or other) for attaching here.

It would be much easier to read.

Are you using Projects or Vault?

Where do your Project point to for the templates?

Templates Path.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 7
brian.cranston

I think you'll get this error if you have a custom template location (as you already said) and have renamed the templates.

If you try using the New Button in the Quick Access Toolbar, those links are hard coded to specific filenames.  If it can't find the expected filename then I believe it will produce that error box.

PS...I think JDMather meant to say "ALT + PrintScreen"

-Brian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report