Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network License

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
mpenn
1311 Views, 10 Replies

Network License

I am a member of the faculty at a small university and I teach Inventor.  Autodesk has stopped shipping our software on CD/DVD and now everything is downloaded and we are required to install the network version of the software.  Well, I do most of my course prep at home and that was not a problem in the past but now I am trying to figure out how to borrow one of the network licenses and transfer it to my home system for the 180 days that are allowed.

Is there ANY way to do this?  If not, could a friendly instructor request some kind of take home codes like they have for the commercial software?

Thanks,

Mike

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: mpenn

If you are on subscription, you can request a home use license.

Message 3 of 11
PACDrafting

Top right hand corner of the screen.

Select the drop down arrow next to the question mark.

Go to, About Autodesk Inventor then select Product Information.

Here you can borrow a licence.

Message 4 of 11
mpenn
in reply to: PACDrafting

Can I borrow one, transfer it to a flash drive, and then use it at home?  I'm wanting to use my home system since it is the most powerful system that I have access to with a core i7-960, 12GB RAM, 6TB HDD, nVidia 5800fx video. 

A long time ago I could transfer 3D MAX licenses in this manner but I'm not sure anymore.

The IT guys at the university tell me that I cannot VPN into the license server and the Autodesk contract administrator for the school has not replied to my inquiry yet concerning the Home Use license.  That would, of course, be ideal. 

Thanks,

Mike 

Message 5 of 11
PACDrafting

You will need to be connected to the network to borrow the licence unfortunately.

Message 6 of 11
mflayler2
in reply to: PACDrafting

You can download the free Student/Faculty version from students.autodesk.com

This is a 14mo term license that puts an educational watermark on the prints/files.  You just have to sign up.  There is about 25 products on the site last time I checked.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 7 of 11
mpenn
in reply to: mflayler2

It seems like a BIG step backwards since I like to do a lot of printouts of Inventor models for my students so now I will be forced to have everything with a watermark on it just because I want to do my prep at home? 

Does Autodesk allow a home use license to be requested?

Thanks,

Mike

Message 8 of 11
mflayler2

They do still allow for home use licensing but you said it yourself, your subscription contract manager has not gotten back to you.  That is the onlly person that can request it. 

Until then you can download a 30 day trial and run it in evaluation mode until you get your home use license from that contact.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 9 of 11
mpenn

Thanks that tells me what I needed to know.

I'll get in touch with the contract manager.  I don't think that he realizes that he can request the home use license.

Thanks Again!

Mike

Message 10 of 11
JDMather

@m_penn wrote:

It seems like a BIG step backwards since I like to do a lot of printouts of Inventor models for my students so now I will be forced to have everything with a watermark on it just because I want to do my prep at home? 

I don't understand how this is a BIG step backwards?  My students turn in all their homework with the watermark.  They are students doing educational work. What is the problem?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
mpenn
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to sound TOO whiney about it.  It's just that before this year we would get the dvd set, install the software on the lab machines and the machines that we use to do our prep work on and that was it.  No water marks, nothing that really delayed us in any way.  Now that we had to go with the network license, we have to install a different set of software than our students are using unless we want to spend more time in our offices doing prep work.

I LOVE the students.autodesk.com site and I direct all of my students there.  I was just commenting that things are different now and that I think that things were better/easier before.

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report