Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net/gross weight and BOM's font size

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
tuliobarata
2914 Views, 11 Replies

Net/gross weight and BOM's font size

Hi all,

I have 2 problems here with my BOM, I've searched on IV Help but i'didnt find anything:

1º - In my BOM, I have a column with the part weight, and some parts are too heavy, and with my bom's font size, i got a break line in some lines, I can't decrease the font size cuz its gonna change all the bom, and the font size is too small already for the parts description. So, is there a way to change the font size only in one column ? In this case, only the weight column. Or if you can tell another way to do it, i cant think in anything else.

2º - Here I have to put in the drawing, the total mass of the part or assembly, the gross weight( I found this term for weight of a plate without any cut for example). But when I use the property TOTAL MASS, i got only the net weight, so I created a property with an add-in, that uses the dimensions of a plate and use the density of the material to create a variable with the gross weight. Only parts its ok, i just have to put this property on the drawing, but I don't know how to use this property on drawing of assemblies, how can I do it ? Or else, is there a way to sum all the values of a BOM column and put it in the title block ? Then i can sum all the gross weight of all the parts of the BOM.

Thanks again!
Túlio
IV 2013
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
tuliobarata
in reply to: tuliobarata

I'm trying untill today, but nothing, the main stuff that I'm trying now is to sum at least the weight column, but I didn't find any way of how to do this.
Still trying!

Thanks again
Túlio Barata
IV 2013
Message 3 of 12
harco

1. You need a common iproperty that is the same in all your parts, e.g. custom iproperty called "ADD ME".
2. This property must be filled,e.g. 1,A,Y or N ,it cannot be empty.
3. Create a new partlist style with MASS as a column.
4. In the partlist style click on the MASS property to format the column.
5. Go to substitution>enable, select MASS in "When exists, use value of", also select Sum of values in "When rows are merged, value is". click ok
6. Click grouping, check Group and select "ADD ME" or your common iproperty, uncheck Display group participants & Item numbers.
7. Place new part list and select new style.

This should sum up your MASS.
The example I used, the sample engine, doesn't work properly because of the library parts, and I couldn't be bothered changing them but the principle should work, just make sure all the units match e.g. kg or lbs, not both.

If you are using a custom iproperty mass I think it will need to be a number format and not text to be able to sum, I'm not sure but hopefully this will help you in the right direction.

On your first problem, can you make the column wider to stop the text wrap and the break line. Edited by: harco on Jan 15, 2010 9:38 PM
Message 4 of 12
tuliobarata

Thanks very much for your reply Harco.

I got the idea, but i guess its not gonna work in this case. For assemblies with only parts, its gonna work perfectly, even if i have to create a property in each library member, but in assemblies with more sub assemblies, iside, I don't know how to get this gross weight, because I'd have to some all the weights before, put in a property of this sub assembly and so do that sum in the main assembly. But i have no idea of how to do it, to keep this in the template, cuz every part has its own name, so i cant leave the sum referenced to a name of one part

And about the other question, with the first answer i guess i can solve it, i could let the main BOM without the column weight, and create another only with the weight column and so decrease the font. I'll try do it now. I just cant increase the column length, because that length is our standard here.

Thanks very much man!
Túlio Barata
IV 2013
Message 5 of 12
harco

After thinking about it I was worried that my method may not sum up multiple instances of the same part as it only shows once in the part list, but I think it does work without putting the weight into the subs.
The only problem is your part list maybe a big one and you would have to hide the parts that you need to expand to get the sum.
Confused? you will be. 🙂

1. Set your model BOM to structured All levels.
2. Insert part list in you drawing as structured all levels, if you can't get it to do this make sure all existing part lists and balloons are deleted, then it should work.
3. Edit the part list and expand every sub down to every part.All rows must be expanded for this to work.
4. Insert new part list and use the previously mentioned method with alternate part list style for summing the mass column.
5. You will need to edit your main part list and make all the expanded rows invisible to reduce the part list to first level view.

It's quite a bit of work but I think it does what you want, there is a small error in my example 6 gram in 41 kg, I can live with that.
Hope this helps.
Message 6 of 12
tuliobarata

Thanks very much Harco!
But i was trying to do this, to make the things easier to everybody here, if i tell this option to them, certainly I'll have some problems after.
It's a good option for small assemblies, I'll still test it.
Thanks again Harco!

Barata
IV 2013
Message 7 of 12
tuliobarata

Hi again Harco,
I guess i got the wrong idea about your option, but now reading again and doing some more tests i got what I wanted to.

I created the the new style of BOM, just with 2 columns, Weight and one to make all lines equal so i could group with this column.
The only thing that we have to do is to renumber this column to make all of them equal, after just hide the title and work happy.

Just one problem Harco, is there a way to hide the list borders ? I didnt find anything on help or in the styles.

Thanks very much!
IV 2013
Message 8 of 12
harco

I see you have used the part list to control your grouping by overwriting the cells in column nPeso.
That's probably a quicker way of getting what you want and you don't have to worry about library parts, good idea!.

My method was to use the model BOM and write the custom iproperties into each part but this would take longer and is more difficult with libraries, but has the advantage of being available for future assemblies that use these parts.
I think, if I remember correctly, that I only needed one column in the part list to sum because you can pick your group from the iproperties in the part list style editor so the grouping happens automatically.(see earlier post for image).

You method is easier to follow and quicker in the short term, so well done.

I can't think of a way to switch off the border as it's not something I have done in Inventor, although I do know you can do it in Mechanical desktop.
If it isn't possible maybe you could set the border line to the same colour as the paper and it wouldn't show, but again this might not be possible, I don't know, and even if it was, if the border line sits on top of another line it would blank out that line too.
Not a great solution, but a least it's good to know you've solved the summing problem.
Message 9 of 12
tuliobarata
in reply to: harco

Good Morning All!

Coming back to this issue of mine, using Inventor 2011.

I was trying to think here, something to sum the gross weight in the assemblies using iLogic..... But until now I didn't get any functional idea. Is that possible with this new tool ? 

Because i can get the gross weight of any part, but the problem is get this total weight from the assemblies, only the gross weight.

Thanks very much

Túlio Barata

IV 2013
Message 10 of 12
tuliobarata

Good Afternoon all!

Again guys, in this new version 2012 is possible to get this gross weight ? Any good idea ?

Thanks Again.

Túlio Barata

IV 2013
Message 11 of 12
tuliobarata

Hey all,

I was thinking here, and tried this way :

Rewrite the property MASS of IV parts, with my gross weight, based on dmensions that I have to enter before. And when I need the NET Wight, I just have to open a part list of my main assembly and then get PARTS ONLY instead of Structural mode in the parts lists, with this I can sum my Net weight.

Like ths:

'Calculando os pesos bruto e liquido da peça
pesoEspecifico = ThisDoc.Document.ComponentDefinition.Material.Density/1000000
pBruto = Round(Compr_Chapa*Larg_Chapa*Esp_Chapa*pesoEspecifico,2)
pLiquido=Round(iProperties.Volume*pesoEspecifico,2)

iProperties.Value("Custom", "pBruto") = pBruto
iProperties.Value("Custom", "pLiquido") = pLiquido
iProperties.Mass = pBruto

Thanks everyone!

Best regards, Túlio Barata

IV 2013
Message 12 of 12
tuliobarata

Well, i don't know if this is gonna help anyone, but I found a way to do that here.

Now i can get the gross weight and put it in the bom, and when i need, i can get the net weight too.

The only thing that I've done, overwritten the property "iProperties.Mass"...with my calculated gross weight,calculating with the dimensions of my template, getting the volume of a plate and multiplying by the density of the material.

Like this code below:

pesoEspecifico = ThisDoc.Document.ComponentDefinition.Material.Density/1000000
pBruto = Round(Compr_Chapa*Larg_Chapa*Esp_Chapa*pesoEspecifico,2)
pLiquido=Round(iProperties.Volume*pesoEspecifico,2)

iProperties.Value("Custom", "pBruto") = pBruto
iProperties.Value("Custom", "pLiquido") = pLiquido
iProperties.Mass = pBruto

Where: 

Compr_Chapa, Larg_Chapa and Esp_Chapa - are my plate dimensions

pBruto and pLiquido - are my weights that I put in the BOM

pesoEspecifico - is my density, with the right unit

So i have to put this code in each template of mine, using its dimensions. Here we consider, if the part that you have to do, doesnt have a specific template, its not a piece that needs to get the net and gross weight - as a piece from casting steel.

Best Regards,

Túlio Barata

IV 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report