Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEGATIVE VIEW OF PART

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
385 Views, 7 Replies

NEGATIVE VIEW OF PART

Is there any way to turn off exterior faces to reveal only the feature? I need this to check for interferences and clearances in a hydraulic manifold.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mount_mordor
in reply to: Anonymous

If I understand your question correctly
Can you not do a half section view??
Message 3 of 8
mattman

if you want, try putting the attached file into your surfaces folder and edit the glass colour and select the new texture... right click on the face you want to be transparent then properties and set it to glass...
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

The file is a part and part files don't have that capability...at least not in IV 7. Even if it were in an assembly, I couldn't get what I want. Basically, I have a rectangular block with lots of holes. I need to make sure the holes don't cross where they're not supposed to and do cross where the need to. I need a solid of the feature and creating an ifeature of them doesn't work. "Troy Grose" wrote in message news:1516787.1111680909394.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > If I understand your question correctly > Can you not do a half section view??
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Add the manifold to an assembly, add another part (heretofore named Toolbody) larger than this manifold, derive into a new part subtracting the manifold from the toolbody. Delete the exterior faces (do not heal) of the Toolbody and this should only show the remaining holes as solid material. Use this throughtout the final development as it will update as required. "Jay Muchemore" wrote in message news:4242f430$3_2@newsprd01... > The file is a part and part files don't have that capability...at least not > in IV 7. Even if it were in an assembly, I couldn't get what I want. > Basically, I have a rectangular block with lots of holes. I need to make > sure the holes don't cross where they're not supposed to and do cross where > the need to. I need a solid of the feature and creating an ifeature of them > doesn't work. > > "Troy Grose" wrote in message > news:1516787.1111680909394.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > If I understand your question correctly > > Can you not do a half section view?? > >
Message 6 of 8
WalkerRA

Try "delete face" to remove exterior surfaces.

-Russ
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Ok, here is my trick for checking castings that might work for your part. I take my part, put it in an assembly and constrain it in only two directions and then make a fixed work plane in the direction of freedom then I do a half section view on that fixed work plane and then run my part through the "saw" so to speak (you can manually drag it through or drive a constraint) This gives you a buildup much like an MRI scan and you can see things very clearly. "mattman" wrote in message news:15278077.1111681693169.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > if you want, try putting the attached file into your surfaces folder and > edit the glass colour and select the new texture... right click on the > face you want to be transparent then properties and set it to glass...
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

That was the easiest and quickest way to get exactly what I wanted. I realize that you have to move any features based on "deleted faces" above them in the browser so it's not reflected in assemblies and drawings. I don't see any reason not to move all deleted faces to the end of the browser but I guess there are always exceptions. Thank you! "Russ Walker" wrote in message news:22986233.1111685276661.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Try "delete face" to remove exterior surfaces. > > -Russ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report