Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative extrusion refuses to stick!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
seismicsource
831 Views, 4 Replies

Negative extrusion refuses to stick!

I have a model in which we want to make lighter than the prototype turned out to be. In order to acomplish this i am removing a chunk of the metal in the lid(images attatched. I have completed the sketch seen in red and extruded it to prove that the loop is complete but when I try to reverse the extrusioni to cut from the lid dragging down the arrow as an example, it turns the effected area a darker red than normaly seen when you cut something. When I let go of the left mouse button it pops back up to the original surface having no effect and refuses to go benieth it and when I apply I get the error seen at the bottom of the attatched image. I do this sort of cutting often instead of digging down to the root sketch then dealing with the ripple effect of the changes we want to make.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: seismicsource

Can you post the offending part.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
seismicsource
in reply to: blair

Here is the lid.

Message 4 of 5
Paul-Mason

Your problem lies in the sketch where you go around the bolt holes instead of a angle at the point where the profile goes around  apparent edge of the bolt holes and joins at a point use a fillet instead  that is where the profile is self intersecting.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 5 of 5
JDMather

Why are there no dimensions in Sketch1 (the part isn't manufacturable to the geometry size you modeled, for example 4.4290101" on one of the sizes, this doesn't appear to convert to a mm size either)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report