Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative contour create problems

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
WHolzwarth
321 Views, 4 Replies

Negative contour create problems

I've been struggling with that for several hours, but no result until now. See picture.

I need a pickup-die for the backside of this part, but it's not easy. My attempt:

- Create silhouette curve for the outside (direction along the black line)

- Project this curve an upper plane

- Create a loft between these two curves

- Sculpt the whole thing into a substract body for the main die part

Problems:

- Silhouette curve has lots of segments, and can't be combined into a single curve

- Even if all these segments are projected onto another workplane, no loft is possible

- Multibody combining fails, too

- Rhino can do somewhat better, but not all problems are solvede

Smiley Wink Here I'm stuck. And it's one of the rare cases, where people are wanting to pay for an acceptable result.

Perhaps someone from Autodesk can contact me in this matter.

wh@holzwarth-cad.de

Thanks

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rdyson
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Walter,

I'm probably missing something basic ; but can you not just duplicate the surface and patch all holes?

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 5
WHolzwarth
in reply to: rdyson

It's a bit more complicated, Ray. The part has a flexible insert, that's not shown here. And there's a groove at the non-visible face, where the insert is located, too. Therefore I had to combine both parts with lots of handwork, because the body combine feature was failing. I've copied the contact faces with help of Construction environment, and created a substitute face through this.

Problem is solved meanwhile, but it took some hours for me

Thanks for asking, Ray

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
rdyson
in reply to: WHolzwarth

I think I'd need more information to fully understand but it seems you have it under control, so I'll go away and leave you to it.

PDSU 2016
Message 5 of 5
WHolzwarth
in reply to: rdyson

I can't tell too much, because of confidentialiy reasons. I think, you'll understand.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report