Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to change the color of a face in an assembly...

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
KF090
8197 Views, 11 Replies

Need to change the color of a face in an assembly...

There are instances where we need to add an extrusion in an assembly (.iam) to show labeling that needs to be done on the floor during assembly.

So we do a new sketch to the face where we need to add the "label", we use text and extrude it 0.001" deep (cut).

On the drawing (.idw) you can see it no problem, but in the model (.iam) itself it's hard to see since the faces that result from the extrusion are the same color as the participant part.

My question is this:  Is it possible to change the color of the face of the extrusion?

It's not super important but it would be a good thing to show that detail as we sometimes print a color version of the 3D view for prototyping, troubleshooting, etc.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: KF090

Yes, you can change the color of just that face, or the entire extrusion.  I'm not sure what release of IV you are using, but pick the face you want to change, and right click and select Properties.  If you want to change the entire feature, you can select it in the Model Tree and do the same (right click, properties).  From there you can select the color or appearance (depends on what version you have).

Message 3 of 12
pball

I just tried an idea and unfortunately it seems you can't change the color of faces in an assembly like you can in a part. If there is a way to color a face I'll be happy to be proven wrong, lol.

So another suggestion is to make a .001 thick part that is the text you want and constrain it to the surface where you want it. I've seen someone at my work do that before and it looks nice.

Message 4 of 12
KF090
in reply to: cbenner

Running Inv Pro 2012

When I highlight the face and then right-click I get no options to select 'Properties'.  Same thing with right clicking on the feature in the model browser.

Message 5 of 12
KF090
in reply to: pball

I thought about that but I'm really trying to avoid creating a part file to show "-01" on a PCB.  It's just so much simpler t do it within the assembly model.

I attached a screen shot of what I see when I right click on the face and feature.

Message 6 of 12
smjanows

Same problem as the other described when I tried it.  Why not just make a label part and add it as a component to yoru assembly?

Message 7 of 12
maxstels

Can change color in assembly programmicaly use SurfaceGraphicsFace object?

Message 8 of 12
technique

Here is a workaround:

-Adjust the part's color to the color you want for the label (black for instance).

-Select the faces of the part and adjust the color you want for the background (white for instance).

-Now, extrude your label in the assembly, thus revealing the color of the label. Think of it as black object painted in white that you scratch to reveal the black color under the paint.

Message 9 of 12
pgcust
in reply to: technique

Could you emboss ,you can change the color when you do this
Message 10 of 12
KF090
in reply to: pgcust

Emboss is not an available command while in an assembly.

We upgraded to Inv. Pro 2014 recently and as far as i can tell there still is no way to do this all within in assembly.

Message 11 of 12
technique

Try using the emboss in the part. Then come back in the assembly to change the color.

Message 12 of 12
snichols

Split the part in the part file at the depth you want your assembly extrusion to be. Then color the inner split faces the color you want. Then make your extrusion in the assembly and viola! This is driven by the part number in an iassembly table and automatically changes with each part. Thanks!

assembly extrusion.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums