Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to add/constrain a general table in the border template.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
swallowsc
1593 Views, 7 Replies

Need to add/constrain a general table in the border template.

I'm new to Inventor and this is a problem I can't figure out.  I need create and add a table to a drawing.  But the company is strict and wants the table to be a exact distance from a particular point on the border template.  So when I go to edit definition of the border the option to insert a table is grayed out.  And if I put it on the drawing like a view there is no way to pick up the border point to dimension.

Is there some trick I'm missing to add the table and constrain it to the border?  It seems like a simple task.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: swallowsc

You are not missing anything. Currently there is no way to add  a dimension to a general table that dimensions off the border. I'd have the company standards rewritten to work WITH your programs capability and not against it. You can have the tables snap to border lines though so maybe you can add some border lines to indicate where it should snap too. Or create a sketched symbol that represents the "distance" and use that during table placement then just turn it off.

Many little tricks but the correct way to tackle this problem is to address the company standards and have them modified to allow a table to be snapped to existing border lines. Any workaround you do will simply add time that shouldn't be needed with a simple rewrite of the out of data standard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
Mike_Maenpaa

What version are you using?

In the Inventor 2010 Programming Help Sample Code section, there is a macro which will insert a custom table on the drawing. You could modify the code to insert it at the point you need it to be at.

Mike

Message 4 of 8
swallowsc
in reply to: Mike_Maenpaa

I'm using 2011.  I've used macros in SolidWorks for several years but I will have to read up on using them with Inventor. 

Message 5 of 8
delineryan

You can add a connection point you your border, place a point, dimension it, the set the properties to connection point, see picture.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
Message 6 of 8
swallowsc
in reply to: delineryan

Sorry if I'm overlooking it.  But how do I set up the connection point on the inserted table so I can tell it to snap to the connection point I've created on the border template?  When I bring in a general table on the drawing the insertion point is defaulted to the top left corner where I want it.  But it dosen't snap to the connection point I created within the border. 

Message 7 of 8
delineryan

You can just place the bale anywhere then move it over so it is close to the connection point, it will snap to the point.  I am not sure if you can set the default snap on a general table?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
Message 8 of 8
swallowsc
in reply to: delineryan

I was having issues putting in a point on the border template and adding a connection point to grab the inserted table.  But I think the center point option may have been causing the issues for me snapping the table within the drawing.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report