Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need templates with different Part List settings in same project

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Orest_iy
1818 Views, 11 Replies

Need templates with different Part List settings in same project

I need templates with different Part List settings in the same project.

The Part List is set either for frame construction or for regular assembly.

I cannot use them both in templates due to Style conflict and should alter

the Part List table manually.

Is it possible to bypass this somehow?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
blair
in reply to: Orest_iy

If it's drawing, then you will need to edit one of the parts lists as it's parameters are pulled from the Style Manager.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 12
blair
in reply to: blair

Trying to think if you can select a different Style to use on the fly. Insert Parts List, select properties and change the Style. Never tried it before, hard enough trying to keep each page of a drawing package looking consistent as it is. 🙂

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 12
Orest_iy
in reply to: blair

Hmm,

Does not work this way.

If I have several Standarts available in the Style Editor and switch them before applying the Part List table the active

style overwrites the previous so they become the same. I do not know it is working "as designed"...

http://screencast.com/t/u0zUQoCu2

Message 5 of 12
blair

As designed, I thought it might work. Guess it's manually make the changes....

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 12
Nicolas.Bourquin

Dear Orest_iy,

It should be possible to "play" with different styles. In your video you select 2 times the same BOM.

Try the following workaround:

1) Create (duplicate) a new “Standard”

In drawing >> Manage >> Style Editor >> Standard >> Select the standard to duplicate (in your example OREST (ISO) >> Right click >> New style >> enter new name (for example: "Frame BOM OREST (ISO)") >> OK

2) Create and update a new “Part list style”

Expand "Part list" section >> Select the part list you want to duplicate (in your example "Part List (ISO)" ) >> Right click "New Style" >> enter new name (for example "Frame Part List (ISO)") >> select "add to standard" >> ok

>>Select the new part list style >> update the part style (add columns, new title,...) >> save

3) Create a new “object default”

Expand "Object default" section >> select the corresponding object default you want to duplicate >> >> Right click "New Style" >> enter a new name for example "Frame Object Default (ISO)" >> select "add to standard" >> ok

4) Assign new part list style to new object default:

Select the new "Frame Object Default (ISO)" style >> in the list select "Parts List" >> click the field column Part List (ISO) of the line "Part List">> on the drop down list select the new part list style created at step 2) ("Frame Part List (ISO)") >> save

5) Assign the new object default to the new standard

Select and active the new standard created at step 1) "Frame BOM OREST (ISO) >> tab "object default >> “Active Object Default drop” down list => select the new Object Default created at step 3) (Frame Object Default (ISO)") >> save.

Remark: verify that the initial standard (OREST (ISO)) has the initial Object Default assigned (Object Default (ISO)). If not change it and save.

6) in “style and standard editor” >> active (double click or right click on the initial standard (OREST (ISO)) >> create a view >> generate and place a first parts list

7) repeat step 6) but select the new standard ” created at step 1 (Frame BOM OREST (ISO)).

=> the both parts list should be inserted

I hope that will help

Best Regards

Nicolas Bourquin
Message 7 of 12
Orest_iy
in reply to: Nicolas.Bourquin

Nicolas,

Yes it is working,

Thank yoy for great advice

Orest

Message 8 of 12
Orest_iy

Nicolas,

Unfortunatelly it is working only within one drawing.

Inventor fails to save more than one custom standard to Library.

http://screencast.com/t/O06Obdq4so

As you can see from video the two custom standards are working well

and saved to library and saved to template.

But template fails to keep both custom Standarts.

Somehow if I save template when OREST (ISO) FRAME is active

it working well and template keep both custom Standards.

But I wish my OREST (ISO) would be active by Default.

Seems it is not “as designed”?

Message 9 of 12
Orest_iy

Nicolas,

IDW Template does not keep Standards available to be purged.

For example I have an IDW I am planning to save as template.

In the IDW Style Editor I create a custom Style.

I save this Style to the Library.

Now this style is available in Local document and in All Styles.

I make the Default Style as Active.

The custom Style is available in local document and available to be purged.

I save this IDW as template.

When I use this template I get it without my custom Style.

Template is saved with only not purge able styles.

If I open template and add my custom Style and save it the result is the same.

The IDW file keeps the custom style upon a save but IDW template does not.

I have IDW with my custom Style which is not available to be purged when it is not active.

I do not know what makes it not purge able. I used it for several genarations of Inventor.

This custom Style is kept by template when it is saved when custom Style is not active.

So it seems like if I would make my custom styles as not purge able it would resolve this problem.

But I cannot find the way of making the custom style not purge able if it available in general.

Please advise.

Message 10 of 12
Nicolas.Bourquin

Dear Orest_iY,

Thank you for your additional comments.

As indicated as this link, starting from 2012 , on open, Inventor automatically purges all unused styles from Inventor documents if the style matches a style also present in the style library. http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2011/05/how-to-preserve-cached-styles-in-inventor-...

The normal process would be to save in the style "library"all the personal "standard" styles present in the template and not only inside the document. At this time, even if the template is purged, the user just needs to open the style editor, set the filter to "all styles" and to save these personal styles in the document.

Other workarounds would be => don't save the standard in the style library and keep it only locally inside the template. Or in the template drawing after having activated the unused standard style(s) to keep inside the document, generate an object (even if it will never be used) for example a "Sketch symbol" => at this time the standard being in use, should not be purged.

I hope that will help

Best Regards

Nicolas Bourquin
Message 11 of 12
dszego

Nicolas, thank you for the detailed instructions.

I can confirm this is not working with the EKSD plugin in 2019.3

It seems that even with object defaults correctly selected, the placed parts list is not customized. This is the case whether I customize an existing style, or duplicate into a new style and then customize.

It also doesn't seem to matter whether I update, don't update (just use immediately), quit and restart Inventor, etc.

Another thing I notice is that when I click "Parts List", the dialog box which comes up containing a table of information is *very* "non-standard" to Windows... It can't be resized, doesn't seem to draw properly, columns can't be resized, text is too small to read, etc.

All of your instructions work fine when I unload the plugin, even though I customized the changes with the plugin loaded.

Happy to work directly with someone on this (please email), not quite sure what your formal bug reporting procedure is.

Thanks,

David.

Message 12 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: dszego

Hi! I am not 100% sure how ESKD interacts with Drawing Styles. Are you using GOST standard template? ESKD seems to have some hard-coded custom objects which are not controlled by Styles.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report