Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with this shape

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
simon_toaldo
392 Views, 5 Replies

need help with this shape

how would one model up this part shape?the part of the model i need some guidance with is where the black lines are situated...using 2013

how would you make this shape?

Simon

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cwhetten
in reply to: simon_toaldo

How accurate of a shape do you need?  Are you actually manufacturing that pump body, or is it just a representation for use as a purchased component?

If it's the latter, then you could create a coil feature (spiral, not helix).  Then sweep the last segment for the vertical discharge.

Search the forum for "volute" and you may find some good results.  I think this question comes up frequently.

Attach what you have so far and someone may be able to help you further (I am on 2012).

Message 3 of 6
simon_toaldo
in reply to: cwhetten

Hi cwhetten

I never even thought of the coil feature .. will try that method..

It is for representation.

I have attached a example but i would like to get the shape a liitle more accurate...i took a picture of my attempt

If you do have some time could you give me a example using the coil feature please for the picture i attached previously

thanks for the tip

Simon

Message 4 of 6
cwhetten

Attached is an example of using the coil feature and a sweep.  I actually had to use two coil features because Inventor will not allow a coil feature to intersect itself.

You can tweak the two user parameters to change the sizes.

Message 5 of 6
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: cwhetten

If its only for representation, then I probably woudnlt use the coil feature as its pretty memory intensive and will bloat your file size unnecesarily, put a few of these pumps in a mechanical ga and see how your performance drops off

I would just approximate the shape with a couple of arcs, extrude and fillet the edge

ps...warman provide 3d blocks of most of there pumps if you contact them

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 6 of 6
simon_toaldo

cheers for the example and suggestions.Gives me some things to work with

Simon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report