Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with materials when importing to Showcase

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ajohnson1993
1643 Views, 7 Replies

Need help with materials when importing to Showcase

Hey guys, I have run into a couple of problems while trying to finish up my design. I used inventor to move and allign materials (I am using the Carbon Fiber texture from the Autodesk Material Library) and I got it looking how I wanted it to and then I imported it into Showcase and the texture does not show but instead is replaced with a gray default texture. I then tried using the material library in Showcase to apply the textures but I cant move and allign them as easily as I did in Inventor.

I noticed when you use the Showcase materials they have an Autofit option which seemed to work well, but you seem to not be able to do this with Autodesk materials. Since I don't like the Showcase carbon fiber texture is there a way I can take the carbon fiber texture from the Autodesk Library and use it in place of the Showcase version so I am able to autofit it? Another solution to my problem would be if I am able to import the textures exactly how I had them in Inventor, I tried this but it only imports with a default gray texture.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you ahead of time!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
blair
in reply to: ajohnson1993

If you used the IV2013 Autodesk Material Library, it should be consistant with the Showcase Autodesk Library. Make sure you are current on the Showcase SP's, Showcase 2013 is on SP3.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 8
ajohnson1993
in reply to: blair

Ok so I updated to SP3 which made the texture show up on import! Now my only problem is that it didnt save the modifications I made to the texture in Inventor, such as rotation and scaling. Is there a way to import the model as is from inventor?

Message 4 of 8
blair

Did you create a new texture in Inventor with the changes or did you just modify and save an existing one? There was some updates to the Materials and Appearance with the SP's for IV2013 as well.

Not really sure what else to suggest of than try posting to the Showcase forum.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 8
ajohnson1993

Well in Inventor the materials for each part I modified show up as CarbonFiber(2) and CarbonFiber(3) and so forth. Is this okay or is there another way I should be handling materials?

Message 6 of 8
blair

Showcase may be looking at the Appearace and not the Materials. This was changed in Inventor 2013. Materials contains the physical properties such as mass and density, whereas the Appearance is only the finish.

I bet you that Showcase looks at only the Appearance.

Think of Materials and Appearance in Inventor this way.

Materials: Steel, with a default apperance of Grey. You can still have the Materials: Steel with an appearance of Blue or Green.

Showcase dosn't care about the physical properties such as Mass or Density, only the appearance.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 8
ajohnson1993

Okay sorry I have been reffering to the wrong thing then because I am using the appearance modifier, not the materials one. So even in that case Showcase should be using those materials with the same settings correct? Because as of right now I allign everything in Inventor then when I import it to Showcase everything is rotated back to its original position.

Message 8 of 8
blair

If you have modified the Appearance item in Inventor, when you import the model into Showcase, it's looking for the closest match in Showcase.

You might want to post this in the Showcase forum. You might get better help.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report