Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with assembly/motion

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
rd_k2
553 Views, 14 Replies

Need help with assembly/motion

Hello all,

This is my first time here posting in the forums so I'll jump right into it. I am doing a project in class in Inventor 2010. I have a track with and a car I am trying to tangentialy to mate to the track, then I would like to apply gravity to the car and have it run on its own.

First off I have an assembly of my car

car.jpg

It has two bearings on the bottom there, the rest it basically for show. I want to constrain those bearing to the track.

track.jpg

But i'm having trouble actually getting it to stay on the track. Any suggestions?

Also if any one has any insight once I figure out how to constrain the car to the track to go about applying gravity or running something similar to a motion study in solid works It would be greatly appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
rd_k2
in reply to: rd_k2

I have gotten the car mated to the track now, I just needed to add one more constraint.

But still if any one has any information how to use gravity in the assemblies if you would be so kind to shed some light.

-Thanks

Message 3 of 15
JDMather

@rd_k2 wrote:

how to use gravity in the assemblies if you would be so kind to shed some light.

-Thanks

Attach your assembly here (include iam and all ipt files) or search here http://www.amazon.com for book by Wasim Younis or check Help Tutorials for tutorials on Dynamic Simulation.

See similar animation here http://208.74.205.69/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Marble-moving-along-an-helical-path/m-p/2868416

loop-d-loop.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 15
rd_k2
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the reply!

I have attached a zipped folder of the ipts and iams that I have for the project. I've messed around with the dynamic simulation for a little bit and was able to define gravity and put one rolling constraint on the bearing and track but It wont let me do the other. Hope you can help, thanks again!

Message 5 of 15
JDMather

Use Transitional constraints rather than Tangent constraints.

But that only gives kinematic motion in assembly (no gravity).

For Dynamic Simulation you need a Planar joint to side of slide and a 2D Contact joint.
You would need to create a couple of sketches for the 2D contact boundary loops.

I am using 2012 - so you wouldn't be able to open my solution.

I could post screen captures - but I am a bit busy right now.

You might need to remind me by bumping this thread a couple of times over the next week until I (or someone) responds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 15
rd_k2

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a go in the morning tomorrow. And I'll keep bumping the post for some screen shots. As mentioned before you were using Inventor 2012, would the process be very different from recreating it in 2010?

Message 7 of 15
JDMather

The process is no different.

Message 8 of 15
rd_k2

Bump for pics Smiley Happy just checkin back in to see if ya have the time.

Message 9 of 15
rd_k2

I'm still a little confused on the dynamic simulation and creating the 2d sketches required to complete this.

Message 10 of 15
JDMather

You don't need any 2D sketches - this one is trivially easy and covered in the Tutorials and book I suggested.

Add a Mate-Flush constraint between the WorkPlane1 of the Track and the XY Plane of the Front Bearing.
Dynamic Simulation will convert this to a Planar Joint.

Planar Joint.png

Go to Dynamic Simulation.

Message 11 of 15
JDMather

Make sure Convert Constraints is activated.

Convert Constraints.png

Message 12 of 15
JDMather

Right click on the apple to Define Gravity

Define Gravity.png

Message 13 of 15
JDMather

Add 2D Contact by selecting the edge of the front bearing and the edge of the track.
Repeat creating another 2D Contact Joint selecting an edge of the rear bearing and the edge of the track.

2D Contact Joint.png

Think of these edges as creating extruded surfaces midplane to infinity.  These surfaces cannot penetrate each other.

Run the simulation.  The first time it will be a little slow calculating but then Rewind and Play again.

Message 14 of 15
JDMather

Your browser should look like this.

Dynamic Simulation.png

Message 15 of 15
rd_k2

Hey I rely appreciate your help, I got it all going now and working, I clicked accept as solution on the final post. Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report