Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with 2014 Structural Shape Authoring and Publishing

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
JimStrenk
540 Views, 1 Reply

Need help with 2014 Structural Shape Authoring and Publishing

I've authored and published several sheet metal parts via the Structural Shape Authoring icon for Frame Generator after viewing a Rob Cohee video on YouTube.

The problem I'm having is when inserting my custom sheet metal parts into a frame, specifically how my members are being displayed in the Insert dialog box when attempting to insert the custom sheet metal part using Frame Generator.  It's the Family and Size pull-downs that aren't behaving like members from the default structural libraries.

When inserting the part, I would like to see all the design parameters within the Insert dialog box to mimic those of the default libraries for Structural members.  Unfortunately, several hours of work authoring and publishing my custom sheet metal parts have not produced the behaviors of the default libraries for Structural members.

Where I seem to be stuck is in filling out name information that is presented during authoring and publishing of my custom sheet metal parts.  WikiHelp for 2014 doesn't go into the nuances of what the results are when filling out information for either authoring or publishing parts.

What steps or procedure must I follow to mimic the Insert dialog box properties of the default Structural shape libraries?

I also need help in adding members that perhaps vary in width or height or other parameter that would change the dimensional properties of a part.  Would I need to create an iPart to take into account size differences between individual parts that are to published to my custom library?

Any tips, suggestions, errata or comments would be most welcomed! Smiley Happy

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
mies07
in reply to: JimStrenk

Not an answer - but which Rob Cohee video? I too am trying to author a sheet metal structural shape for use with Frame Generator in such a way that I can place it as a custom part, then edit it to change the sheet metal rule.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report