Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help in running static simulation

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
U6astik
493 Views, 9 Replies

Need help in running static simulation

Hello,

Could you please tell me if it is possible to load a hook that rests in a hole of a metal plate?

I have performed the calculations by hand and I would like to check them using simulation and comment on any differences if there are any.

The assembly is simple, I will add all the parts and couple of images.

Thank you in advance,

U6astik

beam bending.png

drawing.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CCarreiras
in reply to: U6astik

HI!!!!

But ... what you want to study? The bar, or the hook?
Sometimes, ist's better to study each part separately or do some changes in the geometry to achieve better results.
In that case, the contact between both parts its just in two points... i believe that it will not give you real results. (convergence issues).

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
U6astik
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hello 🙂

I would like to study the bar. The hook is not important to me.
I'd like to study the bar on its own, however, it seems impossible to appliy a pure concentrated load at a point, which isn't an edge.
(I would assume sum of two forces acting at the half of the offset - can upload image of it to clarify it if needed)

The conversation of forces acting on a beam.png

Any thoughts on how to do that?

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

... it seems impossible to appliy a pure concentrated load at a point, ... 

It isn't possible in the real world either, so I wouldn't even try in the virtual world (which would return a singularity Force/0 area).

You do not need the hook to test the bar.

If you want to represent the area of the bar on which the hook would exert force - Split the face to get the areas.

Because the stress will be at the Fixed end, the size of the split face where the load is applied probably doesn't matter.

Here is a test at SF about 2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
U6astik
in reply to: JDMather

The thing is I don't know the area and anyway, hook has a circular geometry, so it's a concentrated load (in theory).

(To my mind CAD-s like Ansys or CATIA allow concentrated loads (although I am not familiar with them), but it will take my several days to understand how to do it in either of these to CAD-s. Anyway, I would like to solve this problem in Inventor.)

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

U6astik wrote: 

(To my mind CAD-s like Ansys or CATIA allow concentrated loads.)

You can concentrate the load on whatever area you want (see the attached file in previous post).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
U6astik

Sorry I cannot open it. I have a 2012 version
Message 8 of 10
rmerlob

@Anonymous wrote:

Because the stress will be at the Fixed end, the size of the split face where the load is applied probably doesn't matter.

You´re right but I don´t think he mentioned how he will be fixing it, or did he?

Because if he were to fix the bar closer and closer to the hole, then the area will start to matter. If he fixes the opposite face as it is, he could probably do away with the hole as well.

Regards,

RM

Message 9 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: rmerlob

@rmerlob wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You´re right but I don´t think he mentioned how he will be fixing it, or did he? 

I opened the part file and found a Fixed Constraint in his file at the end opposite the hole.

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
rmerlob

Yes you are right , I simulated it and he really could even leave the hole out of the model as we'll, the fixed end is going to go waaaay past yield before anything at the other end becomes worthy of simulation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums