Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help flattening this step file

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jhoover11
956 Views, 6 Replies

Need help flattening this step file

I have been tasked with flattening this .stp file for use in CNC machines. Doing the usual thickness adjustment in SM Defaults doesn't work. I've also tried to create a new model with uniform thickness using the Thicken/Offset feature, selecting surface, setting thickness to 0, deleting body, and then thickening back to the original .02 in. This new body still wont unfold and I'm at a loss. Any help would be great, even if it's just a link to relevant information as that too is eluding me. 

Thanks

--Using Inventor Pro 2013 Student Edition--

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jletcher
in reply to: jhoover11

You would have better luck just remodeling with sheet tools this part has a small twist to it that is why your method did not work.

Just don't put the twist in..

And that is the only way I think you will get it to work.

Message 3 of 7
jhoover11
in reply to: jletcher

Thanks for the answer. Wouldn't removing the twist alter the measurements for the flattened part? This is a precise part from a client and I assume the twist is intentional. Is there another option that would allow me to preserve dimensions?
Message 4 of 7
jletcher

The twist is so small I really don't think they twist the part by bending I will almost bet the twist is done when they mount the part. He put the twist in so the model looks right. The metal is only .02 thick that is why I think they don't twist the part when bending.

As far as the dimension it would not be that noticeable as long as you can get dimensions. I would ask for a drawing then you can draw it from a drawing and you would know you are right..

Or ask him to give you a flat pattern then you can fold it with Inventor..

Message 5 of 7
jhoover11
in reply to: jletcher

Thanks again! If it's not too much trouble, do you know where I can find a good resource to learn more about this specific operation (3D .stp file to flattend sheetmetal and ultimately .dxf)? I may be doing a great deal of this in the near future. 

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

This (the forum) is a pretty good resource - just post your files and ask questions.

I have to run right now, but I'll come back and suggest a few more.

I measured 1° twist in that part.  As stated in this thread - my guess is the actual part is manufactured without that twist and the twisting occurs just in the process of installation.  The designer needed to model the twist for the part to fit in the digital assembly, but I'll bet the real world part has no twist until installed in the assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
JDMather

Some Inventor sheet metal books here

http://www.ascented.com/courseware-solutions/autodesk/courseware/autodesk-inventor.aspx

Neutral format file (older) information here

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report