Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Creating Punch Tool

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
IlliniDawn
691 Views, 10 Replies

Need Help Creating Punch Tool

Please help!!!

I'm new to Inventor and am trying to create a sheet metal punch tool, however, I must have something incorrect because the extract iFeature does not seem to be working.

I've attached a copy of the file I'm currently working on.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: IlliniDawn

Do not constrain Sketch 2 to the origin, this is one time when you don't fully constrain a sketch.

After removing the Coincident Constraint from Sketch2 you should be able to drag the sketch without breaking Sketch3.

Sketch3 needs some work (one thing I noticed is odd sized fillets and the sketch is not robust (fails after moving Sketch2).

Sketch3 should only reference Sketch2 (and I wouldn't use an geometry projected from solid, only projected from Sketch2).

I would give meaningful names to Sketch2 and 3.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
IlliniDawn
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather.  Thank you so much for your help.  I'm used to working in Solidworks, and Inventor is taking a little for me to get used to!

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

Post back if you still can't figure it out.

In Inventor you model the punch feature while in SWx you model the punch tool.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
IlliniDawn

With your suggestions I was able to figure it out. 

I just have to get used to thinking about things in a slightly different way. 

Thanks again for your help.  I don't know if I would have figured it out without you!!

Message 6 of 11
JDMather

Another tip, because you don't constrain to the origin like you normally do - I sometimes add a Fixed constraint to make sure that I have everything properly defined so that the punch tool will update properly as placed or changed size and then delete the Fixed constraint before saving the punch feature.

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
M.Jenaban

Hi, when I use punch tool in standard sheet metal parts, it works fine, in flat pattern it will show me the 2D sketch for the punch tool used however when I model a multibody part and then create components to generate my flat pattern the punch tool 2D sketch cannot be retrieved. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Flat pattern in sheet metal part:

mohamadjenaban_0-1656322514507.png

Flat pattern from a make components multibody part (slots are missing):

mohamadjenaban_1-1656322589295.png

Message 8 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: M.Jenaban

Hi! If I recall correctly, this is a currently a limitation in Sheet Metal. The workaround is to insert the punch tools in the flat pattern instead. I need to check with the project team to see if my understanding is correctly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 11
M.Jenaban
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi John,

there is no flat pattern in the Multibody part, like I said if this needs to be created after making components then it defeats the point of having a Multibody part template. I don’t understand why punch tool is available in the Multibody part if it doesn’t do what it is meant to do as a sheet metal part? Surely this is a simple coding that has been missed off, cannot be rocket science right? 

Message 10 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: M.Jenaban

Hi Mohamed,

When I said adding the punch in the flat pattern, it is in the flat pattern of the derived part. The reason why punch sketch representation isn't available is because the punch sketch isn't derived along the body. It requires special code to handle such cases, which has not been implemented. It is not an omission. It was indeed a technical limitation unfortunately.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 11
M.Jenaban
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi John,

If you have a Multibody part template it is really inefficient to create your punch tool again when you make components to flatten the parts, I am not sure why this option even exists in Multibody part mode if it is not going to work? Imagine putting all your punch tools in your template and drive your template via parameters to make changes only then when you are about to flatten the altered parts, you then have to add all your punch tools again in the flat pattern for every single component. This is insane, I wonder how no body actually had a 5 min think about this. It is not just a technical limitation, I think it is something Autodesk developers have missed all together otherwise it doesn't make any sense nor there is any logic behind it whatsoever.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report