Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need file converted to IGES Format

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
nolanminyard
2386 Views, 19 Replies

Need file converted to IGES Format

Hello

Can someone help me convert my attached version 2006 drawing into a IGES Format file?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

TRY THIS

Message 3 of 20

Thank You Very Much:

Message 4 of 20

Hello

Thanks for converting my file for me. I have a question as it pertains to the following email I recieved after sending this company the file you coverted.  My question is how do I join the parts in the original file I sent you and then can I send it back to you to covert again?

Hi Chuck,
It wont work, for some reason it sees the parts as individual pieces rather that one solid part. Here is a pic and you can see that the parts are seperated. I need it to be the two parts but each as a whole part and not pieces.

Thank You,
Nick Trees
Demoldco Plastics Inc.
Message 5 of 20
JDMather
in reply to: nolanminyard

When you modeled in AutoCAD it does not look like you Unioned features to create your parts.

This does not appear to be just one part - nor does it appear to be 30 parts like you have it.

You should union the actual parts just like the real world.  You should not depend on someone else to figure out what feature go together to make each individual part.

Question - how many parts are there that actually make up this assembly?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 20
JDMather

Looked at this thing a bit more and I've almost figured it out.

But some consideration of design for manufacturability and assembly do not appeared to have been considered.

First - no clearance between moving parts.  Perfect parts cannot be manufactured.  There sould be clearance between parts and enough clearance to consider some parts will be small and some larger than ideal size.

Draft angle for molding?

Fillets for bending and/or uniform thickness?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 20
JDMather

Is this portion one part in the real world or 3 parts (or 5 parts)?

If one part - how is it manufactured?

If 3 parts - how are the semi-circle parts bonded to the rectangular box part?

Message 8 of 20
nolanminyard
in reply to: JDMather

Hello,

This will be a 3 part system and as far as how are the semi-circle parts bonded to the rectangular box part, I will leave that up to the plastics guy. I appreciate all the comments for which I have no answers, however I will be sure to ask my plastics guy how it will all be done and even watch the process.

Can I ask you a favor?

I followed your suggestion and unioned the parts, which was very simple process, and have attached the file. Can you convert into IGES format for me?  

Thank you

Message 9 of 20
AustinLiu

I have the same question as JDMather...How do you manufacture them if two parts...

Anyway, in Inventor we have some workaround to make your file two parts,

1. Import the DWG file.

2. Save the IAM file to IGES--In export Options, choose "Output Solid As" Solids.

3. Import the IGES file as a single part in Inventor. (Check the options...)--then multiple solids are imported.

4. Combine the solids you want to be in two solids. You need to use this functionatliy.

5. Make Components--make the two solids to two parts, and delete other useless instances.

6. Save the IAM to IGES.

I created an IGES file with two instances in attachement. I don't know your exact parameters about moving some pieces, so it's the same as your original file. You can use Move Body function in Inventor to solve it before you combine the solids to two.

Austin-Zongjie Liu
Zongjie.Liu@autodesk.com
Software Quality Assurance Manager
Design, Lifecycle & Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 20
nolanminyard

Hi Austin,

Was the IGES file created based on posting #8 - just asking because it came back so quickly. if so Thank you Very Much

This a 3 part system with two (2) samples. One in the open position and the other in the closed position.

I only have AutoCad Version 2006.

Message 11 of 20
AustinLiu

My iges file is based on your first dwg, not #8.

Just to be clear...

Seemingly there are four different instances...see attached snapshot.

Re-create the IGES file based on #8, which contains 6 parts.

Austin-Zongjie Liu
Zongjie.Liu@autodesk.com
Software Quality Assurance Manager
Design, Lifecycle & Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 20
JDMather

In this part that you have now Unioned in to one part it actually looks like it should be two parts in the real world, or you will have to redesign.

Notice that the triangle meets the plane at an infinitely small point - this cannot be manufactured.

Your "plastics guy" is going to have to do a lot of engineering work for you, which of course will not be free.

The more you could get corrected in CAD the less expense your model will be.

Message 13 of 20
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

If you were sending this to me I would want this as 3 IGES files (one for each part).
And pdf of 2D drawing describing operation of the mechanism.

I would then create a Rapid Prototype (RP) physical model to send back to you.  (I did not see any mention of RP capability on the DeMoldCo website - this is a simple 3D printing process that could create a prototype of your design without any tooling.  In my lab I could have your model printed overnight. (not offering services - just stating process)  The RP model wouldn't have all of the properties of an injection molded part, but would help to quickly highlight were there are potential problems.  Even with all the 3D digital prototyping tools in the world, there is nothing like getting a model in your hands.  Digital prototyping tools (like Autodesk Inventor) can reduce the number of physcial prototypes and with focused experience and limit to specific range of products might eliminate the need for most prototypes.

It would be up to you to fix the engineering problems (like appropriate clearances) and send your revised IGES back to me.

(If you expected me as "your plastics guy" to do the engineering to fix the models, I would of course, charge you for this.)

Once the design is corrected for manfacture then comes the same process for designing the tooling.  The tooling will be expensive.  The design of the tooling will be expensive.

The more design/engineering you can do the less your expense will be for the model/tooling....

Send these three files to your plastics guy and see what he says.

If he doesn't have RP technology you might find a service bureau first.

Have you worked with this vendor in the past to produce models/tooling?
It doesn't sound like you have much experience in this and the less experience the more costly the learning curve.

Message 14 of 20
nolanminyard
in reply to: AustinLiu

Hi JD

My plastics guys stated that the parts work, but they came back too small and is now in the process of trying to scale it up.

1. Do you know what could have caused this because the file I sent over to you full scale.

Can you resend at full scale?

Message 15 of 20
JDMather

@nolanminyard wrote:

1. Do you know what could have caused this because the file I sent over to you full scale. 

AutoCAD is unitless and I didn't pay any attention to units.  You could have supplied information on inch or metric units and the envelope size of a part for reference.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

can ny1 please help me, how to save maya (.ma) files to IGES.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

can anyone help me to save maya(.ma) files to IGES format.

Tags (1)
Message 18 of 20
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

I do not see a file attachment?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya/ct-p/area-c2

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

can any one help me in saving maya (.ma) file to IGES format
Message 20 of 20
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Why have you posted the same question 3 times.

Why did you post to an old thread that describes a different problem?

Why have you not attach the file you wish to have converted?

Why are you posting your question to the Inventor forum rather than the Maya forum?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report