Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need assistance from Autodesk employee to help with large STEP file conversion

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
brendan.henderson
582 Views, 10 Replies

Need assistance from Autodesk employee to help with large STEP file conversion

I need some assistance in converting a large customer supplied STEP file to an Inventor multi solid part file. I need it multi solid so I can suppress solids. I can't release it to the public forum as it is not my file and I can't get my customer to agree to this, which I understand.

I am okay in supplying the STEP file to an Autodesk representative to look at. I have exhausted my knowledge that has worked till now. I even installed Fusion and it performs better but still not adequately. Any takers?

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Did you meet any problem during import the STEP file into Inventor?

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 3 of 11

Hi there.

No problems occurred during the STEP import. I can see all of the bodies in the tree, but nothing in the model display.

step.png

Here are the import Options I used.

step_options.png

And here is the contents of the Translation Report.

Autodesk Inventor Translation ReportFriday, 31 May 2013 (6:52 AM)
Source File:C:\Vault WS\Projects\Library\90000-MISCELLANEOUS\DEUTZ_FILES\DEUTZ_BF4L2011\18104-0_BF4L 2011_engine.stp
Translator Type:STEPSending System: 
Author: Translation Time:00:02:11
Options
Import Type:N/A
Entity Types to Import:Solids, Surfaces, Wires, Points
Import into Repair Environment:No
Import Assembly as Single Part:Multiple Solid Part
Create Surfaces As:Single Composite Feature
Import Multiple Solid Parts as Assembly:N/A
Units: 
Check Parts during Load:No
Auto Stitch:N/A
Enable Advanced Healing:No

Components

The following table lists the parts and assemblies created in Inventor:

+/-Name Inventor File Status

[ ]
18104-0_BF4L 2011_engine.iptC:\Vault WS\Projects\Imported Components\18104-0_BF4L 2011_engine\18104-0_BF4L 2011_engine.ipt
Successful
Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Message 4 of 11

OK, you can send your STEP file to me and I can take a look at it. How large of the file size? It seems our mail box only can accept less than 20M file. My email is mingwei.gao(at)autodesk.com.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 5 of 11

I have zipped up just the STEP file. It is 11 mb. I am emailing it too you now. If that fails I'll add it to my 360 account and send the link. Thanks.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

Message 6 of 11

Yes, I already got your mail and dataset! I took a look at your dataset and replied for you.

Just let other guys know the details in here:

A simple method can let you see the whole part – right click on the first solid body on the browser and click Find in Window in the context menu, the whole part will appear. Another method is let the all origins are visible and click F6, then you can enlarge to see the original center and you will see the whole part.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: brendan.henderson

I was having a similar problem a couple months ago. If you are looking for a quick one time fix you can download a 15 day free trial version of step to CAD transfer software. Just go to Google and put in (transfer CAD software and pick one). This repairs step files so the CAD software can translate them right. I only used it once and it did what I needed, so I hope it can help you too.  

Message 8 of 11
BLHDrafting
in reply to: MingweiGao

Okay, the RMB and Find In Window shows the Body, but the file still disappears after I zoom or rotate. I can't use the file in an assembly. Any ideas?

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 9 of 11
MingweiGao
in reply to: BLHDrafting

I already replied another mail with dataset to you for the workaround - During our development team did the research of your dataset, we found your dataset is working fine on Inventor 2014, so I imported your dataset on 2014 and then exported it into a STEP file. This new STEP file is OK
on Inventor 2013 SP1.1.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 10 of 11
BLHDrafting

Thanks for the conversion to STEP for 2013, but I have not received any email with the file or with a link to the file. Please re-send.

Brendan Henderson

Twitter @BLHDrafting

ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 11 of 11
BLHDrafting

Mingwei Gao, forget about sending it again. It arrived a few minutes after the last post.

I'll open it up and see how it is. Many thanks.

Brendan Henderson

Twitter @BLHDrafting

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report