Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need an AutoCAD master...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
396 Views, 4 Replies

Need an AutoCAD master...

Hi,

I asked this q ibefore but now I have more information so I'm asking it again in a different forum. Hope I'm not violoating some TOS.

So here goes:

have a bunch of fairly simple, relatively small 3D files that were created in various 3D modeling programs like ZBrush, Maya, Hexagon, and Blender, all of which have been successfully exported to STL and OBJ formats and 3D printed (they are watertight) but which now must be converted to IGES, or better, STEP format for further revision.

The problem appears to be one of "solids" vs. "polygons." I have done some research and although it appears that in some instances certain programs CAN take a polygon model and interpolate it into solids, it is FAR from straightforward and with these particular models may not be possible at all (there is a fair amount of fine detail). So these models might not be "convertible," but may need to be redrawn from the ground up using a real CAD program like AC.

My question is two part:

1. If I can't "convert" them, should I just have them redrawn in AC? Some other CAD program? The files will eventually be given to injection molders to make molds from.

2. How can I find someone who can do this for me, and what should it cost? There are 6 models and although they are not particularly complicated, they are fairly detailed.

I am attaching a picture of one of the models.

Thanks,

Hal

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: Anonymous

I think you may mena you need an Inventor master?  AutoCad is something totally different, and while it has 3D capability, I don't know if it could handle something like this.  Are you looking to create 3D models such as this, or 2D drawings based on these models?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: cbenner

3D models.
Message 4 of 5
JDMather

Search Google for Fusion 360 Beta.

You might also look into Autodesk Alias software.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
rdyson

Check with your mold maker or molding vendor. Some (most?) CAM package will work with stl (and other mesh) files. They sould have talent that can make reasonable modifications for you from your files as well.

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report