Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for hardware requirement

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
933 Views, 13 Replies

Need advice for hardware requirement

Hello

im in the process of buying a setup for at newcommer, and i just want to run the setup by the pros. 

Cpu: AMD Athlon 5350 / 2 GHz Processor - AM1
Ram :Kingston HyperX blu - 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 CL10
Gfx : ASUS R7240-2GD3-L grafikkort - 2GB

disk: 7200rm 500 gb somthing.

any oversights ?

goal is a "cheap" but preformabel machine running  inventor version 14 and later 15

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

That will be a SLOW..SLOW machine.. 

Time is money.. DON'T go cheap.. Why you ask? Simply spending $1000 more on decent hardware could save thousands over the life of a machine simply in the time the user is "waiting".. waiting = wasted time 

To build an Inventor machine worth anything it needs a min of a 3Ghz processor (Corei7 or Xeon,etc..) with 3.5+ preferred. 

8+Ghz of RAM (absolute minimum)

A solid state hard drive is HIGHLY recommended.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 14
ampster402
in reply to: mcgyvr

Seems like questions about or people asking for hardware confirmations comes up weekly.

The link for the current version system requirements should become a sticky or pinned at the top of this forum now.

2 cents worth

edit...not that anybody reads or notices those pinned topics  lol

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

thanks! timeis money but for studens it is a hassel 😄

hmm i'll try to redesign the setup

Message 5 of 14
mdavis22569

Can you afford an Solid State Hard Drive too .. and as stated above ... Go with the I7 or Xeon as a minimum 16 gig's or higher of ram too

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
JavaLodge
in reply to: mdavis22569

I believe he has 16 gb of ram.  Up top he says he has 2x8gb DDR3 RAM.  I agree with others, the weak point on this setup would be the processor.  I'd like to know what everyone's opinion on SSDs are.  What is their main advantage over a convetional hard drive?

in reply to: JavaLodge

SSD's read and write much faster than a hard drive. This translates into faster boot times, faster program loading, and faster part opening. Many people have said that an SSD makes your system much "snappier"

X2 on needing at least an i5, preferably an i7 or the xeon 1240-e3 or higher. Not sure how good that graphics card is, but the quadro (k2000 or 4000) series by NVidia perform very well with inventor and other such modelling programs if you plan to use BOBCad or Solidworks in the future. 3

Your SSD doesnt have to be huge either. I'm satisfied with 120gb because all thats on there is boot files and programs that I use very often (Chrome, inventor, etc.) and things not used as often are thrown on the hard drive. 

Message 8 of 14
ampster402
in reply to: JavaLodge

@JavaLodge wrote:

I'd like to know what everyone's opinion on SSDs are.  What is their main advantage over a convetional hard drive?

I believe you see the advantage mainly during pc startup and possibly during load times when opening Inv files, however they would have to reside on the ssd drive itself.

Message 9 of 14
mdavis22569
in reply to: ampster402

Start up, load, saving, opening ... Supposedly a longer life cycle too.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

what about 

AMD Quad Core FX CPU nummer/ model FX-670K - 3,70 (GHz)

RAM Type DDR3 12 GB
HDD: will try to find a ssd
GFX model (GPU) Nvidia GeForce GTX 645 dedicated GPU RAM 2 GB

Message 11 of 14
mdavis22569

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-fx-670k-cpu-shows-up-in-the-wild.199179/ about the CPU ... Can you get your Ram up to 16? 2 sticks of 8 vs 3 sticks of 4 ...

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
rg97

It's just me, but to be on the safe side I would go with at least a gtx 660 or 760

PS samsung makes great, cheap SSD's

Message 13 of 14
keelerpd
in reply to: rg97

Has anyone every spec'd out a PC at Dell?

What what you get?

What about this;

• Dell Outlet Precision T5610

• Processor: Dual Intel Xeon Processor E5-2630 v2 Processor (Six Core HT, 2.6GHz Turbo, 15 MB)
• Windows 7 Pro
• 256 GB SSD

• 64 GB Memory (4x16GB) 1866MHz DDR3 ECC RDIMM
• 16X DVD +/- RW Drive
• 3 GB NVIDIA Quadro K4000 (2DP and 1DVI-I) (2DP-DVI and 1DVI-VGA adapter)

Thoughts from the group?  This machine would run Inventor, our 3D models are pretty large.

Message 14 of 14
swalton
in reply to: keelerpd

We have been happy with Dell outlet machines.  I think Dell likes to hit pricepoints with the outlet machines, so you can get a fast CPU with minimal RAM/GPU or a slower CPU with lots of RAM, or some other set of trade-offs.

IV likes fast single thread performance from the CPU.  I would look for that first, then RAM, then GPU, then SSDs. The only three areas of IV that take advantage of multicore CPUs are FEA, Drawing Views, and Studio (Inventor HSM may use multicore to calculate tool paths).  Everything else is single threaded.

Take a look at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ to get an idea of the current performance levels for CPUs etc.

If you don't need to run high-end OpenGL programs, then lots of folks have been happy with gamer-class GPUs.  You might consider the outlet machine as the base and buy upgraded RAM, GPU, and SSDs from the open market. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report