Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nasty: Pattern on Spline bug

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
WHolzwarth
287 Views, 6 Replies

Nasty: Pattern on Spline bug

This seems to be a dead-end street, and no way out. I've tried it with all versions, from 2010 to 2015. See file (2010).

I tried to pattern a point together with a corresponding workplane along a spline. If you mouse over the rectangular pattern, you can see the workplanes, and an array of workpoints. If you edit the pattern, you can see the members: 1st workplane and origin point.

1st bug: Not the origin point is patterned, but the end point of the spline instead.

2nd bug: Though the preview of the patterned workplane shows ok, all of them are placed in the same positon as the first one.

3rd bug: If Rectangular pattern1 is deleted, the spline changes it's position and look - starting point equal to end point.

Smiley Mad Funny, isn't it?

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Walter,

The file seems to be corrupted somehow. Look at the origin point. It seems to be detached from where it is supposed to be. If you do rebuild all, the spline will close itself. I guess it might be the reason the pattern does not work correctly. Do you recall how the origin point becomes detached?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
WHolzwarth
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I'm surprised with this behavior, too, Johnson.

I'll do a new test with a similar setup tomorrow.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
WHolzwarth

Here we go again, with an initially ok file from 2010. The same things happen with 2014, too. I didn't test 2015, but I think, nothing will change.

Try this:

-Edit Rectangularpattern1

- Click on >>

- Switch Direction1 to Adjust.-> Collapse

- Try to switch back to Identical -> No luck

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
johnsonshiue

Walter,

This is an excellent catch! The culprit seems to be related to Adjust option in Rectangular Pattern. I don't understand why it behaves like this and it should alter origin point unexpectedly. I suspect it has something to do with involuted feature dependency: patterned feature is also a parent of the path.

In the meantime, you could create a grounded workpoint on top of the origin point. Then select the grounded workpoint instead of the origin point to pattern. It essentially cut the dependency.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 7
WHolzwarth
in reply to: johnsonshiue

That did it, Johnson.

Consequence: Never ever use Origin members for pattern tasks Smiley Wink

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! It is not true that the behavior discourages patterning origin work geometry. This is a specific case that Pattern Adjust does not handle well. So far it looks like the following conditions could replicate the same behavior.

1) Pattern path depends on a work feature which is patterned.

2) Normal to path workplane is also patterned,

In a sense, you have a situation that A (norma to path workplane) depends on B (path), who depends on C (origin point). But, only A and C are patterned. I guess Pattern Adjust got confused by this situation. The behavior is not right.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report