Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Naming faces in 2011

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jlosman84
860 Views, 8 Replies

Naming faces in 2011

Hello,

I am sure it is possible to assign names to the faces of solid bodies, but I can not figure out how, or find any other explanation... Does anybody know?

Thanks

Joe

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: jlosman84

Can you explain more about what you are calling "faces" and what you mean by "naming" them, perhaps an explaination of -why- would help solve the problem. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
jlosman84
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks, well, to give a very simplistic example, what I would like to achieve would be something like:

1. Sketch a circle

2. Extrude to a cylinder

3. Now there is a body with 3 "faces" - i.e. 2 flat circles and 1 curved wraparound.

It is these faces to which I would like to assign names, lets say "inlet" to one circle, "outlet" to the other circle and "wall" to the curved face

4. After this, I would like to import the body/part into CFD software, and still have the names associated with the faces.

I hope that makes a bit more sense - I understand it may seem a bit abstract...

Thanks again

Joe

Message 4 of 9
bobvdd

Without details of what import capabilities your CFD software has, 2 things I can think of:

1. Add workpoints to the faces and give these workpoints distinct names.
This can easily be done if you use the "Pin" functionality from the Cable and Harness add-in.

2. Add attributes to the faces  via the API (there is example code in the API  help on how to do this, search for SetAndGetAttribute)

In both cases your CFD has to have sufficient import intelligence (IGES/STEP) or API skills to benefit from your preparation in Inventor. 

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 5 of 9
JDMather

Another option might be to create as 3 surface bodies which you can name individually.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
josman84
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the responses... unfortunately I could not get any of the methods suggested to work. Could be to do with the CAD importer of the CFD software (3DX), as it is having trouble with other formats where I have been able to name the faces (solidworks, nx etc).

Actually I could not find how to access the API... is that a separately licensed feature?

Thanks

Joe

Message 7 of 9
bobvdd
in reply to: josman84

No it is a core component of Inventor and can be accessed via Tools > Options > VBA Editor

The API help can be found under the Question Mark icon in the Community resources > Programming Help menu.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 8 of 9
ozitag
in reply to: josman84

Another option is to do a sketch on the face, write the test you want with the text tool, then use the emboss tool and the sketch to emboss or engrave the text. It will create more surfaces which could be a problem in the CFD program. But its an idea. If you did it on the outside of the part, it shouldn't make much difference.

Regards,

Ozitag.

IV 2010
Message 9 of 9
cmbv

Hi, I have the same problem as jlosman84 sing Star CCM+ as CFD, I dont know if the surface data somehow gets lost while importing the file but I have tried some of the methods suggested and had no luck. Didnt try the API, it has taken me long hours to get it to work. Is there a simpler way of naming faces?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report