Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Names of Mirrored Components -

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
JAudsley_SpectrumTechUK
386 Views, 1 Reply

Names of Mirrored Components -

Hi, 

I'm working on an assembly which has the same components on the left and right sides.
This is for work so all parts must have the correct file name, in accordance with our system, so that when we check the assembly into vault there are no messy "_MIR" files.

Prefixes and Suffixes are turned off, and I have "Insert in assembly" selected.

Lets say I am mirroring Part1234, when mirrored Inventor adds a "1" to this number, making it Part12341.

This can be edited out in the file names box of the mirror tool, but doing so generates a name conflict, and messes up the mirror.

Leaving the added number in confuses things further because we have many parts and assemblies, into 5 figures, so while they might stand out they would still cause confusion, not to mention clutter in the Vault.

I doubt that there is a fix or workaround for this but I need to try.

Oh and just adding a space as a suffix or prefix to a part or assembly is out, because if someone edited a part and checked it back into the vault, they would then have to perform a second lot of changes to the mirrored part, to make the assembly correct. 

This is time consuming and un-neccesary.

I realise that mirroring a part currently creates a new file, therein lies the problem, why could Inventor not just create a literal mirror of a part? If you manipulate or change the original then the mirror would update with those changes, this seems more useful and streamlined than the current system.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

The mirror is different therefore a different filename. If it was the same you would have reused it.

This seems correct to me. Use the Productivity Tab / Save Replace to use a different name for your mirror if you want to change it after creating the mirror.

I've been in a couple of companies that used notes on the drawing, like "one as shown, one in mirror" but that's bogus to me. What if the note gets deleted, or drawing corrupted.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report