Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysterious CC pipe length

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
graemev
523 Views, 9 Replies

Mysterious CC pipe length

The pictures are of a short pipe spool that has migrated from 2014 to 2015.  All parts, except the hammer unions, are Content Center parts. The first picture shows a shaded set of views and the dimension prior to placement.  The second picture shows the dimension as placed, which is the correct dimension for the part.  The third picture shows the associated BoM and balloons.  The geometry indicates that the pipe extends well beyond the tee, which the redundant item 5 balloons also indicate, yet I cannot place a dimension showing the displayed length, nor will it place a centerline through the entire piece as shown, though I can pick the centerpoint of the bottom end of the pipe as shown.

I have tried changing the length of the pipe.  The drawing updates to reflect the new length, but does not correct the error at the bottom.  Likewise for deleting the pipe entirely, saving the file, closing Inventor, relaunching, opening, and placing a fresh pipe from the Content Center.

I have confirmed that the project file's "Folder Options/Content Center Files" field is pointing to the R2015 folder.  There is no pointer or other reference to the previous R2014 folder.

Any thoughts?  Any answers?  Anyone care for a mint?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
blair
in reply to: graemev

It looks like the IAM file is missing the bottom pipe. Are there any warnings about missing links when you open the IAM file? Also make sure that you are current on all SP's and Updates for your product.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 10
graemev
in reply to: blair

The bottom fitting is a tee, not a cross.  Nothing is missing.  Rather, the pipe is exhibiting extra "phantom" length, and only in the IDW graphics, and even then most curiously.  The dimension tool grabs the entire length while rubber-banding yet reports and displays the correct length once placed.

Message 4 of 10
cbenner

You don't tell us how this assembly was made.  Was this done using Tube & Pipe, or standard assembly constraints?  If standard, is the pipe adaptive?  Can you post a picture of the assembly , showing the model tree?

Message 5 of 10
graemev
in reply to: cbenner

This was made using the standard assembly environment and standard - not custom - CC parts.  (The exception being the hammer unions.)  The pipe was generated as a 24" long pipe, which is as reported once the dimension is placed.  No adaptivity is involved.

(Tree snapshot to follow.  Currently in an ugly long update.)

Message 6 of 10
graemev

As requested.

Message 7 of 10
cbenner

I'm sorry... I'm not seeing anything that should be causing this.  Would you be able to share your assembly?  One of us might be able to spot something if we have the files to play with.  If you can share, use Pack n Go, then ZIP it up and attach here.

Message 8 of 10
graemev

Stop lookin', everybody, we found it!

Apparently it got corrected with the upgrade over the fresh install of 2015.

(whew)

Message 10 of 10
blair

Never ran across this one before.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report