Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiscreen

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Talayoe
1233 Views, 9 Replies

Multiscreen

Hey,

Wondering, is it possible, without using Inventor in 'not full screen' mode to have mutliple windows on multiple screens? I have two screens and I am working on a large assembly and it would be super handy to have a 'drawing' screen on one side the assembly on the other. I am fudging it now by having two seperate inventor's running... maybe this is the only way?

tks!

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
cwhetten
in reply to: Talayoe

Sure it is.  Here is what I did just quickly:

Bug Eyes.jpg

To see it better, right-click the image and choose View Image (in Firefox, at least...).

To get this, I just un-maximized Inventor, then stretched it across both monitors.  Then I un-maximized each document and dragged and stretched onto each screen.

As you can see, my browser is in an awkward location, and depending on where you keep yours, you might have to deal with it too.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 3 of 10
Talayoe
in reply to: cwhetten

Hi Cameron,

What did is what i referred to as "not full screen mode". The only reason i dont like this is because it seems the very hard on system performance (and i have a killer system over all). If that, or my way are the only ways, i can deal with it.

Thanks for the fast reply! Appreciate it!
-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 4 of 10
cwhetten
in reply to: Talayoe

I apologize.  I misunderstood spectacularly!

I don't think there is a way to do what you want, unless there are some 3rd-party programs out there that can handle this.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Message 5 of 10
jjziets
in reply to: cwhetten

I really find it shocking that Autodesk does not allow for multiscreen support. I have a large screen which I would like to use is my main assembly display. Most screen cards today can support more than 2 screens and I would love to have 3; one showing a part which i am editing, Another the larger assembly in a section view, while the other one shows the drawing or bill of materials. If it takes Autodesk this long to add in productivity advancements then I can only wonder how long it will take to implement touch support. 

Message 6 of 10
dgorsman
in reply to: jjziets

Not everything is under the aegis of AutoDesk.  Try running a high-end game across multiple monitors.

Same thing with touch support.  There's a couple of layers in between the user and the software that AutoDesk aren't responsible for, they just hook into it.  The advantage, of course, is that it doesn't matter if the input device is touch or not, or a specific brand of device.  There was enough of that in ye olde days, with every gadget requiring its own purpose-built driver, that DirectX (with modules like DirectAudio, DirectInput, and DirectDisplay) was created to standardize the whole shebang.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 10
Mario428
in reply to: jjziets

@jjziets wrote:

I really find it shocking that Autodesk does not allow for multiscreen support. I have a large screen which I would like to use is my main assembly display. Most screen cards today can support more than 2 screens and I would love to have 3; one showing a part which i am editing, Another the larger assembly in a section view, while the other one shows the drawing or bill of materials. If it takes Autodesk this long to add in productivity advancements then I can only wonder how long it will take to implement touch support. 

How hard is it to run 3 instances on Inventor?????

Seems much ado about nothing, 1 instance on 3 screens or 3 instances on their own screens, seems quite transparent to me.

Message 8 of 10
pball
in reply to: Mario428

You can not copy and paste between different Inventor instances, so there are some downsides. Not to mention it seems Inventor won't update an assembly if you edit a part outside of that instance, without closing and reopening the assembly.

So in short multiple instances would not be transparent.
Message 9 of 10
Mario428
in reply to: pball

@pball wrote:
You can not copy and paste between different Inventor instances, so there are some downsides. Not to mention it seems Inventor won't update an assembly if you edit a part outside of that instance, without closing and reopening the assembly.

So in short multiple instances would not be transparent.

OOPS, mouth running without brain engaged again. LOL

My office Inventor mentor tells me multiple instances cause problems with vault if editing a part while its assembly is also being edited. Vault will have problems checking in the part.

Message 10 of 10
jjziets
in reply to: Mario428

Try not using vault and see the disaster it will result in. 

No it is very apparent that inventor is not designed to handle multi screen environments. Hardware limitations is no reason and if it was it is easily remedied by having eather multiple gfx cards, CPUs or even networked pc's.  The problem is that when inventor foundations was conceived, multiscreen design environment was not a possibility. Changing inventor now will most likely require a major redesign on several levels. 

On the one hand that is sad because it will not happen soon except if there is a compelling reason. Such as if a major competitor implement it effectively. But on the other hand it means all the major cad providers aren't that future proof. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report