Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Use of iMates

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mooresk257
2763 Views, 7 Replies

Multiple Use of iMates

Hi Folks,

I just upgraded from INV 2011 to the INV Pro version. I'm working on a project where I'm trying to build a control panel in Inventor, and then complete the wiring. I created an iPart for DIN 3 rail (I thought something like this would be in the Library!), and iMates for the top edge and face of the rail. The idea is to place the iPart DIN rail, make it whatever length I need, then constrain it to the panel.

I have components I've modeled  to place on the DIN rail - contactors, power supplies, relays, terminal blocks, etc. that use iMates matched by name to the rail. The idea is (naturally) that I place each component and it is constrained to the rail using the iMates by name.

Unfortunately this only works for one set of components, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of what I am trying to accomplish.

So I searched around here on the forum and find the most recent post was back in 2007, saying multiple use of iMates was not available "yet". Is this still the case, and if so, is there a work around?

Seems to me being able to re-use iMates on an iPart is a necessary feature to using these things in an assembly.

Thanks!

Scott

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mooresk257
in reply to: mooresk257

Here's some interesting behavior - I created unique imate names which are duplicated in both components. For example, in the DIN rail I have two mate constraints named "BannerRailTop" and BannerRailFace". I create similar iMate constraints with the same names in my Banner component. When I place the component, RMB, and select "Place at all matching iMates" three instances of the component are placed in the model. In one case only two instances were created.

So I guess every iMate needs a unique name? This seems very strange to me, perhaps this is a bug?

I've attached screen captures.

Message 3 of 8
ravikmb5

Use Composite imates

If Part1 has Three Mates Select All the Three mates ,RightClick And add to Composite Mates, Name it

Give The Same NameFor Composite Imate In other ComPonent

Read Creative Inventor Magazine Of January 2010

There is a Really Good Article About imates

Please mark this response as Problem Solved if it answers your question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ravi Kumar MB,
i7 860 Dell Studio XPS Win 7 64 bit 12 Gb RAM & HP Z220 SFF Workstation
Autodesk Inventor Certified professional 2016
Email: ravikmb5@gmail.com

Message 4 of 8
karthur1

Sorry, but I can't help you with the multiple imates.  I ran up against this as well and never could get it figured out.  I noticed the e-stop button in your model.  Would you be willing to send that to me?  I am doing a panel layout as well and it would help.

Thanks

karthur at fmi-solutions dot com

Message 5 of 8
mooresk257
in reply to: karthur1

Generally, I try to use components from manufacturers that supply 3d models of their products. It's one of the reasons (among many) we've standardized on Telemecanique. The main reason is that the components are well designed, well made, and we have yet to have a failure. Reliability is #1!

http://www.schneider-electric.us/products-services/products/

I downloaded the models in STEP format, the changed the surface color properties of the part. I tweaked a few of the parts to make them INV assembly friendly and authored them all as components.

The other controls I either downloaded the models, added decals, embossed terminal markings, and changed surface properties so they look realistic. Probably not necessary to go to this level of detail, but I look at it as a learning experience. I get to try new things and learn as I go.

Message 6 of 8
mooresk257
in reply to: ravikmb5

I read that article some time ago - thanks for reminding me to go back to it. I'm too far along in my panel design to tweak the iMates, but I'll look into updating and using composite iMates on the next project with these components.

I did use composite iMates on a Omron ice cube relay and base I modeled, and the composite iMate worked perfectly. However, I have yet to learn if composites can be used more than once in an assembly, but I don't think they can.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
karthur1

I went to the link you provided.  It took me to there products page.  I looked around there and found the "CAD Drawings".  They only had 2D drawings there.  I could not find any STEP files.

I also looked in the "Technical Library".  Can you provide an direct link to where you found the step files.

Thanks

Message 8 of 8
mooresk257
in reply to: karthur1

Click on the CAD drawings link, then enter the part number and search.

Click on the 3D model link, then the CAD generator creates the part, and you can download it in a multitude of differnt formats, or insert directly into Inventor.

Not every part has a 3D model, but in most cases you just need to search for a similar part in the same product group to find one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report