Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple ipart on one drawing sheet ; parts list?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
FrontlineFusionLtd
1668 Views, 10 Replies

multiple ipart on one drawing sheet ; parts list?

(Inventor 2015)    Is it possible to place multiple instances of an ipart on to one drawing sheet and then have them all apear on the parts list, while being seperated by different item numbers?

I want to show several variations of an ipart on one drawing page (sheet)  to show the close up differences of each instance that pertain to the assembly, and have them itemized so that the reader and easily differentiate between them.

I realize the possiblity to make each part its own part.... however since the work flow of making an ipart is to simplify assembly creation, i would like to include this workflow into the drawing aspect as well.

- ( i have found that creating a table almost works except when numbering the iparts they all want to share the same number .... very confusing for a reader)

- (also i found that you can choose which ipart is recognized in the parts list under "member selection'' however the choose all button (yes to all)  is greyed out and selecting more than one variation is impossible )

Thank you for your time in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

I am not sure how to get what you want directly.

You might like this workflow:

1. Create all your ipart members

2. Create an assembly file that holds all the ipart members.  Use constraints to control the member locations so you make a nice view.

3. Place a view of the assembly file in the drawing.

4. Place a Parts List of the assembly in the drawing. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 11

Hi FrontlineFusionLtd,

Here is a link that describes how to create tabulated drawings for iParts. This workflow might work for you, although it is not exactly what you're asking for:

http://books.google.com/books?id=pXGgAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA636&lpg=PA636&dq=tabulated+drawing+ipart&source=b...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

After you place the parts list for the first one edit the parts list and hit the "member selection" button.. Then you can check the other one you want and the parts list will show the stuff for both.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for the help,

The tabulated chart is definately useful and good to know ( i will use in the future ) however in this particular instance i would like to show all the instances on the page for easy reference to try to eliminate fabricator error (blueprint). ( Placing base view for each instance on the page still lists each varience as item number 1 )

Message 6 of 11

Thanks for your reply,

This work flow seems to work best for what i am trying to achieve and answers my direct question yes, however i notice the tabulated charts are not supported....

Since being restricted to the parts list i cannot seem to enter any user parameters into the table ( to show material length, or offset dimensions like the tabulated chart does).

Placing these dimensions for each part on the page works just as well, I do find it strange that the tables are limited as such.

thank you everyone.

Message 7 of 11

I'm glad it is working for you. 

Parts Lists will display custom iproperties. 

The challange is to get the user parameter into a custom iproperty.  You can do that by clicking the Export checkbox at the right side of the parameters window.

Open the iproperties window and click on the Custom tab.  You should see a parameter with the same name and value as your exported user parameter.  This also works for Model Parameters.

Edit your ipart table and add the new custom parameter.  Edit the value of the parameter for each ipart member.  Once the column for the new parameters have been added to the table, you can use Excel to write formulas, concatenate text, etc to generate the values for each table cell.

Save your part and generate all your member files. You must do this to see any changes you have made.

Go to your drawing and edit the parts list.  Open the column chooser and select new property.  Click to add a new property and type the name of your user parameter or model parameter.

The parameter will appear in the selected properties window where you can adjust the display order, just like a regular property. 

Click Ok on each window to return to your drawing. 

Your table should show the your user parameter with the correct values for each ipart.

See attached screenshots.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 11
dan_inv09
in reply to: mcgyvr

I suppose I might need to bring up or create a drawing for an iPart so I could find it, but could you save me (and anyone else) the trouble and post a screen shot of the "member selection" button (and/or maybe a little explanation if it's not obvious how to get there from a picture).

Message 9 of 11

Very cool !!

took me a little while to get all the files to update so that my drawing finally showed the results but BINGO! (had to open the assembly to update it as well )

Thanks very much, my drawing is how i want it to look, and is completely functional !!

Cheers.

Message 10 of 11

Is it possible to convert the dimensions in the parts list from decimal to fractions?... ( without manually retyping each cell )

Message 11 of 11

A little research and i figured it out... i must say it is very difficult to do some of the simple tasks...

i learned that first you must go into the styles editor into the parts list.

then you must manually add your custom parameter into the chart at the bottom of the window.

then you must go to the name of your new parameter and RMB and choose Format Column.

then you need to click the Apply Units Formatting button and the rest is self explanitory.

( if there is another way to accomplish this please enlighten us with your wisdom )

I must say it took some meddling to finally get my parts list to update from decimal and also confusing is that in the styles editor chart my custom parameter still shows up as a decimal even though my ACTUAL chart on the drawing correctly converted to fractions.

Thanks again, and i hope this message helps some one too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report