Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
dtompsett
Message 1 of 11 (2,024 Views)

Multiple instances/sessions of Inventor when opening from Vault

2024 Views, 10 Replies
07-22-2009 01:30 PM
So a quick search came up with "don't open from the Vault; open from within Inventor."

Lets not have that arguement.

My office just upgraded from Inventor 2009 to Inventor 2010. 3 seats, all installed the same way. When the other two users open something from the Vault, and then open a 2nd file (be it a drawing/part/assembly), it opens as a new window within the same Inventor session. (Just like it used to in .../2008/2009).

When I open from the Vault, it starts a new session of Inventor. This is frustrating, when you have an assembly open, modify a bunch of components, and then want to open their respective drawings to update them... the drawings will open in new sessions when opened from the Vault.

Obviously I've got something changed somewhere. Quick search through the Inventor options came up with nothing. Vault options?

Is this a Windows thing?

Please don't tell me to start opening files from inside Inventor... that's a waste of my time... and everything has worked fine until this fresh install of 2010.
*Dennis Jeffrey
Message 2 of 11 (2,023 Views)

Re: Multiple instances/sessions of Inventor when opening from Vault

07-22-2009 01:35 PM in reply to: dtompsett
OK, I won't argue with the proper workflow of opening from inside Inventor
instead of opening from Vault Explorer. I think you may be on your own on
this problem.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
AIP 2008 SP3, AIP 2009-SP2, IV2010 ProPcCillin AV
AMD 64 x2 3.0 Ghz, 8GB RAM GeForce 9800GT 512MB
XP Pro SP3, XP Pro64 SP2, Windows XP Silver Theme
http://teknigroup.com
Contributor
dtompsett
Message 3 of 11 (2,023 Views)

07-23-2009 05:10 AM in reply to: dtompsett
I would like to know how it's proper workflow to have to increase the number of clicks/key commands to start the 'open file from vault' dialog box, then search through multiple levels of folders to find the drawing you want... instead of having the Vault Explorer sitting open to the directory you need, and simply hitting "alt-tab" to bring up the window, RMB-OPEN on the file you want, and then having it open in Inventor.

I've read arguements that opening from the Vault can cause constraints to mess up. Nobody I work with has had that problem in the several years we have been using Vault. And being able to quickly browse through the explorer-type folder view makes working much faster; easier to find the files you need.

And in regards to my original question, I've seen someone with a similar issue (http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=5842515♓) , however, I checked, and I do have DDE enabled on my Inventor files.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Paradiang
Message 4 of 11 (1,803 Views)

09-06-2011 10:44 AM in reply to: *Dennis Jeffrey

So, why give the option to open from Vault if it's not the proper workflow?  In addition, why does it only happen in 2012?  I did not have this problem with the 2011 version?  We are looking for answers and most of the users have their own preferences and that is the advantage of Autodesk products and to reply smugly about what is proper and what is not is very unprofessional.

Mentor
Steve_Bahr
Message 5 of 11 (1,791 Views)

09-06-2011 11:02 AM in reply to: Paradiang

Dennis passed away recently.

Steve Bahr...since 1962.
Message 6 of 11 (1,785 Views)

09-06-2011 11:13 AM in reply to: Paradiang

Paradiang wrote:

So, why give the option to open from Vault if it's not the proper workflow?  In addition, why does it only happen in 2012?  I did not have this problem with the 2011 version?  We are looking for answers and most of the users have their own preferences and that is the advantage of Autodesk products and to reply smugly about what is proper and what is not is very unprofessional.

I think there may be a misunderstanding with the terminology "Open from Vault."

If you are in Inventor and have clicked the icon Open from Vault, this activates a dialog which Opens a file from the Vault Server. This is the correct workflow.

If you are in Vault Explorer and click on Open, this is considered the wrong workflow.

Mike

Contributor
cliff.haynes
Message 7 of 11 (1,452 Views)

04-23-2012 11:49 AM in reply to: dtompsett

We are experiencing the same problem where I work. We haven't updated inventor or vault, and when we open files from Vault Explorer they open in a new instance of inventor. This does not happen if we open a file from Windows Explorer, and when checking the registry like described in TS19171496 my registry settings appear to be correct.

This occurs with both Windows 7 and XP, both are 64 bit, installed on Dell 4500 laptops. Inventor 2012 SP1 and Vault Explorer 2012.

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 8 of 11 (1,426 Views)

04-24-2012 07:40 AM in reply to: dtompsett

Hi everyone,

The guys at the Being Inventive blog have posted some information on this:

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2012/04/opening-inventor-file-opens-new-instance-o...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

Contributor
cliff.haynes
Message 9 of 11 (1,418 Views)

04-24-2012 07:56 AM in reply to: dtompsett

I'm experiencing a variation of this problem. When I open a file from Vault Explorer, it opens a new instance of Inventor. This occurs each time I open a part, assembly, or drawing from vault. When I open a file directly from Windows Explorer, it will open in the already existing instance of Inventor.
Registry is as shown in the post above.

This isn't a show stopper, it is just very annoying to us when we are used to being able to open files directly from vault without hassle.

mas5
Message 10 of 11 (810 Views)

07-17-2013 07:04 AM in reply to: dtompsett

Double check file associations.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.