Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple assembly files in large assembly

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
211 Views, 2 Replies

multiple assembly files in large assembly

Hi

I have a large Assembly file which includes many sub-assemblies.What is the recommendation for switching sub-assemblies OFF and ON so as to show only certain sub-assemblies when viewing required at different tumes..What works best and how best to set up?

Cheers

Damian

2014 Inventor

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

Levels of Detail or View Representations.

Without looking at the assembly I'd probably go with View Representation... Make a new one ..turn on and off what you want to see in that one ... Make a new one for the next. Or ... you can go in and make level of details and suppress items for each level...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! When you need to hide some subassemblies, is it only for viewing purpose or you are still in the middle of changing design? Purely based on the behavior, there is not much difference between DV and LOD. Either offers a way to "hide" a component. But, the way of hiding is quite different behind the scene (for different purposes). DV manipulates component graphics to make components invisible but the component documents are still loaded. LOD unloads the documents completely so the components are not present in the graphic window.

From capacity's standpoint, LOD will reduce memory consumption. From performance' standpoint, DV might have an edge since it does not involve loading or unloading a document when a component changes its visibility.

From BOM's perspective, DV or LOD does not alter BOM table since the structure of an assembly should not be affected by how an assembly looks. I have heard counter-arguement about this statement but currently it is still the principle Inventor operates on. In Drawing, there is a filter in PartsList allowing user to influence the quantity of a given invisible component but it is all or none.

I am sorry to post a verbose reply but this is not a simple concept to convey. I want to make sure most important facts are included to avoid confusion.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report