Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multibody ipt solid visibility when working in sketch - IV2013 SP2

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
RobSinglehurst
870 Views, 12 Replies

Multibody ipt solid visibility when working in sketch - IV2013 SP2

I'm doing a fairly big one-off for use at our factory so am going the multibody ipt route.  I have a design view setup within the ipt with nearly all solids switched off but when working within a sketch this seems to be ignored. I want to make sure I am projecting from sketches not bodies so if I need to tweak things later and bodies change the model won't fail.

Does anyones else have this happen? I.e. the bodies all become visible when working in a sketch where as before going into the sketch the bodies weren't showing.

SolidVisibility.jpg

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CCarreiras
in reply to: RobSinglehurst

Hi!

I can´t reply this behavior, works well for me in 2013 and 2014 versions.

Works well for you before? Try in another file (a simple one).

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
RobSinglehurst
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thanks Carlos

I'm sure it is down to part complexity as it didn't happen earlier on when I was making this ipt. Still shouldn't happen though really.

I've actually just deleted the viewrep I had made in the part, then selected all of the bodies, turned off the visibilty and now the behaviour is correct.

That's a good enough workaround for me at the moment but still not quite right.

Have you used vipt viewrep with the multibody parts that you've worked with?

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
Message 4 of 13
rob_bolter

Have you tried pressing F7 in the sketch? Or am i mis-understanding your question?

It will include the solid if the sketch is a part of it. F7 hides anything above the plane of the sketch so you can see what youre doing.

Intel Xeon 3.5GHz (8 Cores)
Dual nVidia Quadro K2200 (4GB) - Dual Screen
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 13
RobSinglehurst
in reply to: rob_bolter

Hi Rob,

Yes, F7 works as normal for slicing the graphics but I wanted underlying solids turned off so I didn't inadvertently project solid edges as opposed to sketch curves.

My workaround of deleting my viewrep in the .ipt will do for now.

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
Message 6 of 13
rob_bolter

cant you open the file exclusively for that?

How about right clicking the selected components then clicking "isolate"?
32GB RAM
Message 7 of 13
RobSinglehurst

I am working in a multibody single .ipt. The new viewrep's in 2013 should enable me to do what I want but it's being  overridden when going into a sketch (once the ipt is complex enough).

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
Message 8 of 13
CCarreiras

Hi!

It´s a multi solid, not assembly... you can't use "isolate".

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
rob_bolter

Ah yes, sorry didnt really look at the browser tree.
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 13

Rob,

When you perform the steps, do you have a Part Design View active? If yes, I think this is a known behavior. Basically, this is a case of fighting priorities. Custom PDV tries to dictate body visibilitiy, while feature roll-back honors the body visibility in Master PDV. Please send me the part so I can take a closer look to see if this is indeed the same behavior I am talking about.

In the meantime, you could try activating PDV:Master before editing the sketch or a feature. The body visibility behavior would be in sync.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 13

Thanks Johnson,

Yes, if you see my first reply to Carlos this is the workaround that I am now using (I called it viewrep). It's unfortunate because this would be an ideal use for this.

Is the behaviour the same in IV2014 just out of interest?

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
Message 12 of 13
Mike686

Hi Rob, i had the same problem

the visibility of a solid remain on no mather what i did

i've move down the sketch in the browser tree

it work so far

Product Design Suite 2017
Message 13 of 13

Hi Johnson,

This behavior is still the same in IV2015 SP2 Update1. The previous workaround you described works but is in itself quite time consuming. Are you aware if this has been addressed in IV2016?

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report