Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-Part Solid Question

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
rms390
938 Views, 8 Replies

Multi-Part Solid Question

So I have a multi-part solid of a symmetrical object, meaning that some of the pieces on each side are going to be identical (just mirrored).  Some objects I would like to keep separate during the "make components" function because of the bends on them.

But for some of the solids, the ones that are identical on each side of the model, I do not want to create a part file for each identical solid.  I want inventor to make one .ipt and put it in the assembly file twice (one on each side.)  

The work-around is to only make one of the solids into a part then open the assembly, re-insert the part, then re-constrain it.  Which is tedious and annoying I might add.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jdavis417
in reply to: rms390

You'll soon find that I'm the dumb-guy on this site, but it doesn't seem to stop me from trying to be helpful (even if I'm NOT)! 😉

This sounds like a "Pattern" to me.  I'm afreaid it's going to be difficult to say what the exact solution is without a model to try things out on.

Good Luck,

John

Message 3 of 9
rms390
in reply to: jdavis417

I want all of the parts (even the duplicates) to be driven from the multi part solid.

Message 4 of 9
jdavis417

Does this disclude the "Pattern" commands (Rectangular, Circular & Mirror)? I don't quite "get it" (as usual).

Keep asking, someone with actual talent will be along shortly!Smiley Embarassed

Message 5 of 9
jdavis417

If you can't get it with a pattern, you may just have to "sketch it in" (parametically, of course)?

Message 6 of 9
SBix26

I'm afraid you can't get what you want-- you can either have the same part used twice in the assembly (one of them constrained independently), or two separate parts which may be identical, but don't have to be and may not be in the future.

If you go with the former, you might be able to include a sketch in the layout (that's a "multi-body solid part", not a "multi-part solid") that would define the position of the second instance, then be sure to include this sketch in the derive of one of the other parts so you have something to constrain to in the assembly.

Post layout part here if you can.

Message 7 of 9
rms390
in reply to: SBix26

It's fine I linked my parameters to all my subassemblies and have things constrained based upon them.  I was just trying to avoid constraints as much as possible because with inventor, constraints and adaptive features are just asking for failure, especially when you throw bolted connections into the mix.  Because they never work correctly when you change the parameters.

Message 8 of 9
SBix26

I agree with you concerning adaptivity.  But I use constraints extensively without any great difficulty.  A formerly active contributor to this forum named Walt Jaquith wrote a short dissertation on the subject several years ago, message 8 in the Is Inventor Really Useful?? topic.  Definitely a worthwhile read for every Inventor user, and should be re-read every few years, too.

Message 9 of 9
rms390
in reply to: SBix26

as a rule of thumb I try to avoid constraints to geometry and I have had great success so far with building a surface model with parameters and the deriving that component into multipart solids for my assemblies.  then for specific parts and I can then derive them from specific .ipt's from the multi-part solid made assembly, allowing me to constrain plains rather than geometry.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report