Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-Body Colour update all

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
robbeckley
952 Views, 13 Replies

Multi-Body Colour update all

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way of forcing an update of the colour styles from the original Multi-Body part to the assembled/derived components.

I always control colours in the original Multi-body part as I can select groups in one go to change colours, this doesn’t filter down to the derived/assembly component I then have to go into each part and uncheck then recheck the 'Use color override from source component'.

I am aware of the reg file/vba to remove the source override completely but which works for certain ways of working / problems, but I want to control it from the original part which I assume was the way it was intended as it is the default option!

Yours gratefully

Rob

Rob B.

Win7 64 Pro - Asus P8P67 PRO - i5-2500k CPU O/C@4.5Ghz- OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - 8GB Ram - GTX550 Ti - SpaceExplorer.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
PaulMunford
in reply to: robbeckley

You might find this post interesting:

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2011/09/default-setting-for-the-option-use-color-o...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 14
robbeckley
in reply to: PaulMunford

Does this not break the link to the original file?

I want the colours to update from the original to the derived.

When you first make the part the colours come thru, but if you change the colour on the original the colour does not update on the derived.

If I have a wooded left hand part I want a wooden right hand part, if I change from oak to ash I want both parts to be the same.

Rob B.

Win7 64 Pro - Asus P8P67 PRO - i5-2500k CPU O/C@4.5Ghz- OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - 8GB Ram - GTX550 Ti - SpaceExplorer.
Message 4 of 14
PaulMunford

Colors are derived by default, but can be overridden from within the part file.

Message 5 of 14
robbeckley

In the individual sub part file yes, I use multi body to create up to 60 sub parts.

If I change the colour of the original I have to individually go in to each sub part and refresh the colour link.

The colour link is active by default but does not update the colour every other modeling aspect comes through.

Rob B.

Message 6 of 14
PaulMunford

I see, sounds like a pain!

I have to say I prefer a differnt workflow. I set all my parts to colour by material. This means that I can change the material from the BOm editor, and the colours will change to suit.

Could you tell us any more about your workflow?

Message 7 of 14
robbeckley

Paul,

Hmm interesting thought!

I had previously contemplated that method in the past, yes it would be a good way of representing the colour and group changing things although I can see occasions when this would either have to be modified in the part or a new material created and potential only used once.

I use the multi-body method to model partial or whole cabinets this allows a quick initial view of what the final assembly will look like. While I am there I have always assigned colours because it is so easy to pick exactly the parts I need to change. I can also pick a particular faces to assign colour, one side of a board could have a wood texture the other a plain white balancer.

It would mean potential a lot of different materials thought we currently hold at least a 100 different board finishes and it keeps growing with each new project.

Currently I only use the materials to assign a generic physical properties wood, m’steel, s’steel, mdf, acrylic.

I may just have to put it on the AUGI wish list I’m not sure how popular it would be though, most people want to sever the links.  

Rob B.

Message 8 of 14
PaulMunford

The advantage of using materials is that you can pull the material property from the BOM into your parts list. You can also use the material to calculate weight and centre of gravity (useful for tables!)

You can always override the colours at the part level of you want to show something as being painted. Inventor 2013 breaks the two properties apart explicitly by separating Materials and Appearances.

I recommend that you set up part templates for materials, and allocate them when you derive out your parts...

Food for thought!

Message 9 of 14

I have the same problem
Message 10 of 14

That doesnt help much when you have a 100 parts all mild steel
Message 11 of 14

The link doesnt work
Message 12 of 14

@AnthonyHarris90842 wrote:
The link doesnt work

You replied to a post from 2012, it may be far from relevant to today.

Message 13 of 14

Hi Anthony,

Please share an example that exhibits the behavior. I would like to understand the issue better. Is it related to the sectioning color you talked about on a different thread?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 14

Yes its the same thing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report