Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-Body Bodies

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
CAG_DRAFT
1081 Views, 9 Replies

Multi-Body Bodies

Every now and again I need to do some balustrade design work...

It's a very easy workflow to draw mutliple panels of glass in one sketch, then extrude all of those profiles as one body. (even though they are distinctly seperate bodies)

Sometimes I then need to split that multi-body-body into seperate bodies/parts...

'Split' doesnt work unless the split tool is actually cutting through a body; and going back in the history tree and redoing the original extrusion as X number of extrusions can lead to many other headaches.

Is there an easy way to split the 'multi-body bodies'  into seperate bodies/parts? (for easier detailing)

I'm using IV2013.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
2grumpy
in reply to: CAG_DRAFT

Create different views in multi-body part and use it as individual base for detailing or derive each body as separate part

Message 3 of 10
CAG_DRAFT
in reply to: 2grumpy

Thanks for the response but you have missed my problem entirely, the methods you suggest are what I use when each panel of glass is it's own body, at the moment all panels of glass are the one body.

I would use split to seperate the body into multiple bodies but it has issues...

Message 4 of 10
Martin.Tomko

Hi,

in this simple case I suggest to share "Sketch 1" and then create "Extrusion 2" from shared sketch as a "New Solid" type

Here are the steps:

1. Right mouse button click to "Sketch 1" in the browser and click to " Shake Sketch" command

2. Edit "Extrusion 1", unselect one rectangle with "Shift" key pressed, press "Ok"

3. Extrude second rectangle  from shared sketch as a "New Solid" (Extrusion 2)

result: Multisolid body is created

Note: If you will want to go back to one solid, just edit "Extrusion 2" and change "New Solid" type to "Join"

Regards,

Martin

Message 5 of 10
CCarreiras

Hi!

So, fist you have only one extrusion, and that's why you can create the multibody by feautures, correct?

If so, all you have to do is create several "Work Planes" that represent the limits of each body.

Then, use the "split" tool, option "Split Solid" (Image below). Select the work planes as "split tool" and the solid you want to aplit as "solid".

1.png

And that´s it, you have your one extrusion, divide in a multisolid by work planes.

Regards.

Mark Solutions!.Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Accept as Solution or Kudos button - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
mrattray

Some pictures would be helpful. If I understand your problem correctly, then the solution suggested by Martin may be your only option.
If all of the "panes" are identical and evenly spaced, you could change your extrusion to only one of the "panes" and then pattern the new bodies.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 10
CCarreiras

Hi!

I miss the "even though they are distinctly seperate bodies"...Smiley Embarassed

But... If the final objective is to have one assembly containing the balustrade's parts, you can use the process i showed you defore, but when you will turn the multisolid to an assembly (using the "Making Components" tool, i believe you already know how to do it), you have only chose the solids you want to export to assembly. I think this is a very nice workaround!!!

Regards.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos- Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
2grumpy

did you intend to say:

1. Right mouse button click to "Sketch 1" in the browser and click to " Share Sketch" command

Message 9 of 10
CAG_DRAFT
in reply to: Martin.Tomko

I was hoping to avoid having to do it by re-extruding each individual panel. thanks for all the input guys.

Also, as per the image in my second post is there any reason why 'Split' must behave like this, surely it should be able to function in the scenario I have shown?

Message 10 of 10
JDMather

I think the distinction is the difference between Disjointed solid body and Multi-body  solids.

Without seeing our actual file, I suspect you will have to edit each solid and set to New Solid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report