Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Appearance & Materials libraries to a network location?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
gerhick
2839 Views, 6 Replies

Moving Appearance & Materials libraries to a network location?

Hi all,

I'm trying to move our Appearance & Materials libraries to a network location. But I'm not quite sure which files need to be moved. I copied all the files in the folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials, but when I change my project settings to reflect this location they're not available in the Appearance & Materials library managers.

Any suggestions?

PointZero Design and Drafting
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
NicolasXu
in reply to: gerhick

Hi Gerrard,

The material libraries under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials" are Read-Only and shared by multiple products, which are installed with multiple products and suites. Given they are read-only and existed on each PC with Inventor installed, I think it's not recommended to move them to network location.

As to the purpose of using shared Appearance & Materials libraries, I'd suggest only moving those custom libraries, i.e. the Inventor Material Library with custom materials/Appearance, or a separate library with company standard materials/Appearance. You can find the file location via tooltip either in Projects dialog or Material/Appearance browser.

Thanks,

Nicolas

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 7
xingyuan
in reply to: gerhick

Hi gerhick,

For customized Appearance & Material library what you need just copy .adsklib file to the network location. For default library(Autodesk Appearance library, Autodesk Material Library and Inventor Material Library) there some limitation and can't be moved. One workaround is copy all content you needed to a customized library and moving them to a network llocation just same with Nicolas

There is tooltip show the .adsklib file location of default libraries in project edit but it doesn't work if you move them. Only method come back is restore system default by context menu.

[Sam Yuan]
[Sr. Software QA Engineer]
[Alias] Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 7
brandof
in reply to: xingyuan

I'm also trying to move a library to a network. We have the Woodworking for Inventor add on and have a separate library for the program. What we would like to do is set up the folder onto a shared network that everyone can connect too and share materials. When I try to copy the library and all the textures to the desired folder on the network and try routing the path for the library, I get an error messaging stating "Failed to open material library". What am I doing wrong and how can I accomplish this?

Message 5 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: brandof

Hi! If you are on Inventor 2013 or later, for better performance, I would suggest you keep Appearance and Material Library local but lock it up. Only users with Admin right can change it. If you move these libraries to network, you may encounter poor performance particularly when designing large assembly (>10K components).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 7
brandof
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Is there anyway to make it so we share the same library? Otherwise when we get a new material we would have to all add it to our individual computers and that would just be annoying after a while. 

Message 7 of 7
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: brandof

@brandof

You can share that information out on your network like you asked.  However as @johnsonshiue pointed out it can impact your Inventor performance and that's why they recommend to not share it out on the network.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report