Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move published ContentCenter part to another folder

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
gunnar_larsson
1189 Views, 13 Replies

Move published ContentCenter part to another folder

Is it possible to move a part in CC when it "landed" in the wrong category/folder?

- - looking for some kind of explorer type drag & drop instead of re-publishing.

Please se attched jpg, which shows what I mean.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
cbenner
in reply to: gunnar_larsson

Message 3 of 14
Cadmanto

As long as you are an administrator, open up the CC editor, RC on the part you want to move and select

copy.JPGand select the desired location.

Then just delete it out of the first location.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 14

Thanks for Your answers.

I suspect that cbenner may be right.

RC on the part does not give me the choice to move to another location in the same library, just to the corresponding location in another library (if more than one is read/write).

MoveCC2.jpg

--Or am I missing something here?

Message 5 of 14
Cadmanto

No. I know it wont move it.  I am suggesting a copy then coming back and delete it in the original location.

Understand that you must have the folder created first before you can copy it.

Hope this makes sense.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 14

Im not sure....

To test, I created another r/w library.

copied an existing part in the bolts\countersunk folder to get the bottom categories.

Created the category SpecialFasteners in the Bolts category.

Tried to copy to; -- but i get no option where to put it. The program automatically puts the part at the same place in the (new) structure as it was before (in the old one). I cannot choose to copy it (or move it) to Fasteners\Bolts\SpecialFasteners\

MoveCC3.jpg

Message 7 of 14
Cadmanto

As you can see from my screen shot I am able to copy to new folders.

Not sure why the newly created folders are not showing up when you do this.

Did you make your master project file read/write when you created the folders?

I am not seeing the new folders in the category view.  They should be there.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 14
gunnar_larsson
in reply to: Cadmanto

I´m not sure we mean the same thing when saying "Folders"

I have the same view as You after I created another library (see below). I then have to r/w libraries.

After activating the library I want to copy from, I get the option to copy to the other library (Test2Library), but folders (categories) never comes up in any dialog.

That means that if the part is directly under Fasteners in the first library, it will be directly under Fasteners after coying to the other, not in any subcategory (subfolder).

MoveCC4.jpg

If You get this to work, could you please make a step by step instruction with pictures and attach to Your next reply?

Thanks.

Message 9 of 14
Cadmanto

I have done this and I have already created a document (see attached).  What we are talking about basically is a custom content center.  A lot of users do this.  So, if you can't do what we have been talking about then creating custom wont work as well.

In your image I see the "Test Library2" in the RC menu, yet you say it wont copy to it.  Or am I missing that point.

As far as everything falling under fasteners, that should not be the case.  The folders we have created are in the root.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 14

Scott.

Thank You for the answers, but I think You are missing my point. Your document does not show what I need.

Perhaps I wasn´t clear enough.

Picture this situation.

1) I create a new company specific library and copies all the relevant parts from the Standard CC:s.

By copying the parts, the standard category structure will also be copied.

Next, I open and modify the family tables and map parameters to various Inventor properties, as per
    the instructions given in various media. No problem there. 

2) I download various custom parts from suppliers and create my own as well.

Then I publish them to the new custom CC library.
    By using the publish button, i get an option to choose a category for them to land in. That´s all OK.

3) Here´s the problem. After a while, due to the fact that the many custom parts have differences in type or usage, I
    decide that I want to re-categorize and move them within the library.

Either by creating new subcategories inside the current category, or new categories adjacent to the current one,
    or even a new top level category.

I can create new categories, But I can´t find any way to move the parts from their current place to that new
   category! The only way to do it seems to be by republishing them all, wich could be a big job.

It would be nice if one could create new categories and move and sort the parts into them, after publishing.
Like You do with windows explorer when over time You are sorting Your files, by cut/paste or by drag&drop.

Unless I´ve missed something and You can show me a way, I will assume that CBenner is right. It can´t be done.

Thank´s again.

Message 11 of 14
Cadmanto

I pretty much figured what you are outlining is what I kind of thought you were doing.  I think the only parts I missed on were you are talking similar to creating your own CC with your own parts sprinkled in.  Plus I didn't know the volume was as great as you now described.  With that said, while I know my method works on my system, what Chris said is your best bet for the time being.  What you outlined is the perfect scenario for an idea allowing one to move CC files around after publishing.  Please see the attached link to the idea I created speaking to this.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Abiity-to-Move-parts-within-the-Content-Center-af...

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 14
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Scott... sorry to jump back into this after being away for a while.  I believe there may be several ideas in the Idea Station regarding this... I'm hoping the team can consolidate these (if there are more than one), and come up with a solution. 

Message 13 of 14
cbenner

Scott,

In this screen shot, you are not copying the item to a new folder,... you are copying it to a different Vault library.  Within one library, you cannot copy or move a CC item around.  I know there is something you can do with "Favorites", but I've never played with these so I'm not qualified to comment on that.  Smiley Embarassed

Message 14 of 14
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

I call them folders.  Maybe that is not the correct terminology, but this has nothing to do with vault in what I am talking about.  This is all within the CC.  As far as the favorites I know how to create them, but I have never placed them in any other location other then where they get dumped by default.  Maybe like you said, this is a possibility.

As far as the ideas goes, it might be a duplicate, but I know nothing came up when searching and creating it.

I know if it is the guys at Autodesk that monitor it will label it as such.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report