Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move multiple dimensions from one view to another in drawing

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jamesluntz
2607 Views, 8 Replies

Move multiple dimensions from one view to another in drawing

Did a cursory search, did not find exactly what I'm trying to do. 

I found that I can right click a dimension in a drawing and select "Move Dimension" which then prompts me to select an alternative view in which I want the dimension placed. Is it possible to control-click multiple dimensions once to do this all in one fell swoop (e.g. I decided my view is too busy and want to move dimensions to a newly created detail view of that area)?

Thanks!

James

message edit: I'm using Inventor 2010

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
swordmaster
in reply to: jamesluntz

looks like you have to select one dimension at a time

Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Message 3 of 9
bobvdd
in reply to: swordmaster

If you have a ton of existing dimensions in a view and you don't want to move dimension per dimension, consider following workflow

1. Copy and paste the view on the same sheet

2.Rotate the copy or use this button in Edit view (depending on the view you want to obtain)

reorient.JPG

3.Align the copy to the original view if necessary

4. Remove redundant dimensions with window select

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 4 of 9
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: bobvdd

Hi bobvdd, 

Just to avoid confusion, jamesluntz indicated he is using Inventor 2010, and therefore won't be able to use the tools you suggest. 

Also, I'm not following the tip you provided. If you have time can you clarify a bit?

Thanks,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 9
bobvdd
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

I would need to make a video to explain but my tip loses appeal for users on 2010 because in 2010 we could not reorient an existing view.

The main point I wanted to make is that you don't have a window select for moving dimensions but there is a window select when deleting dimensions.

My thought was to copy the view and all its dimensions first in order to benefit from the window delete capability. That is all I wanted to point out.

I don't think there is an elegant solution to this problem.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 6 of 9
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: bobvdd

Hi bobvdd, 

Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense to me now.

Thanks,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 9

Hi,

I guess my problem is a little different than the topic here.. the question is, can we move dimensions in between 2 views, of different file types(.iam and .ipt) which are geometrically identical.

The background story is that, we are replacing the .iam file with its derived .ipt file..

So, can’t replace the link in the assembly drawing, as they are of different file types..

So, there are 2 views which are geometrically identical but of different file types, can we move the dimensions from one view to the other(.iam to .ipt).. And there are a huge no. of drawings with similar change...

I come up with these weird problems, all the time... 🙂 🙂

Please let me know, if there is a way..

Regards,

Jebaz.

Message 8 of 9
bobvdd
in reply to: Jebaz.santosh

Can you not place the derived ipt in a new assembly?

And use that new assembly in the "Replace model reference" command?

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 9 of 9
SER4
in reply to: swordmaster

FYI there was an Inventor Idea at one point:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/multi-move-dimension/idc-p/9658848#M39740

Dell Precision 5680 Laptop; Win11 Pro; 64GB RAM; i9-13900H CPU; Intel Iris Xe Graphics, NVIDIA RTX 3500 Ada Laptop GPU.
Vault Pro 2023.4.1 (28.4.20.0); Inventor Pro 2023.4.1 (418).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report