Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Extrusion forward

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
870 Views, 10 Replies

Move Extrusion forward

I'm trying to move a rectangular extrusion towards me on an object, however it will only go farther away from me, and to the right and left. Is there a way to move in all four directions? Thanks.

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Attach the ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

It is called, "Extrusion 1". Just to let you know, I'm using cm.

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

If I follow your problem correctly you have not dimensioned the location of the rectangle - only the size.

You should fully dimension the sketch.

But to simply drag the rectangle - right click on Sketch5 and select Edit Sketch.

Click and drag one of the four corner points (not one of the four lines) to drag where you want it located.

(then of course, dimension that location to some logical reference point)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

I tried moving the sketch by a point, but the extrusion didn't move so I undid that change. Also, how do you dimension the location? I've attached the file so you can see what I mean. Thanks.

Message 6 of 11
JDMather

Q1. Have you gone through the Help>Learing Tools>Tutorials?

Q2. What book are you using to learn Inventor?

Q3. Are you in a class?

You might start here http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

1. I have not (sounds useful, I will check it out)
  2. I do not have a book (do you reccommend any?)
  3. I took a class last year that taught the basics, but did not go in depth. So my knowledge of the way to execute certain tasks is limited.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

That beginner's guide is very useful! Thanks. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

YouTube is also a great place to find video tutorials on how to learn Inventor.  Here is a link to some videos that might help you out:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6F4DAEFF0848AD0C&feature=plcp

These are the first 17 lessons of a much longer course.  This will give you a good start on learning Inventor.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

If it is possible, could tell me how to fix this (move the entire extrusion, not just its outline)? I am looking at tutorials, but I haven't found a solution. I will continue looking but it would be nice to have your assistance. Thank you.

Message 11 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:
  1. I have not (sounds useful, I will check it out)
  2. I do not have a book (do you reccommend any?)
  3. I took a class last year that taught the basics, but did not go in depth. So my knowledge of the way to execute certain tasks is limited.

1. I would think anyone taking a class would have gone through the tutorials.
2. There are several on Amazon.com, I would start with Banach and Jones book and then get Curtis Waguespack book. I would think taking a class would cover the information in these books.
3. I would go back and request a refund and then find another class with a different (better) instructor.

Your questions are very basic (or I don't understand the questions) and should have been covered in a beginner class.

Inventor is a professional program and deserves (requires?) a professional level of prepartion.  I'm not sure where to even start in helping other than to suggest a different class.  Maybe someone else can help.  Curtis also has some tutorials here http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report