Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move 3D Sketch to new Location

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
rhasell
1952 Views, 4 Replies

Move 3D Sketch to new Location

Hi All

I am not sure if this has been asked before or if it even possible?

Can I pick a 3D sketch and move the whole thing closer to 0,0,0 ? It is currently sitting around 5km,10km,2km from zero.

This makes everything very chunky, and very difficult to visulize anything correctly.

This was generated from a site survey, which was work in progress, it has now all been finalised, but I don't want to loose a weeks work by starting again. (Using AutoCAD to move the points to Zero)

Thanks

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MingweiGao
in reply to: rhasell

How complicated of your 3D sketch?

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 3 of 5
rhasell
in reply to: MingweiGao

The sketch is not too complicated, very basic, but there is quite a lot of geometry hanging off it now.

Reg
Message 4 of 5
MingweiGao

hello,

I suppose that there isn't a direct method to move 3D sketch.

But I just tried a "workaround" and got the result.  The steps as below:

1. Offset 3 workplanes from your origin workplanes and the dimesions of them is decided by your sketch. That is to say, the dimesions are equal to the distances between the new center and the origin center. Save your part.

2. Create a new assembly and place your saved part into it. Ungrounded it if it has been grounded by default. Add three flush constraints between the assembly origin workplanes and the three "offseted" workplanes. (the part has been moved) Save this assembly.

3. Create a new part and derive the above assembly into it, including the 3D sketch(es) into the new part during the derivation. The new part will have the moved 3D sketch.

Hope this helps

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 5 of 5
rhasell

Hi

Thank you, It worked.

I had already moved the part to zero in the assembly which made no difference, but I never thought of making a new part.

Reg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report