Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mouse key for" Apply"

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
pavel.yurevich1
1543 Views, 10 Replies

Mouse key for" Apply"

Hi everyone,

I have been looking all over to figure this out. Is there a hot key for "Apply" (for example, you have to hit "Apply" every time you create a constraint)? If yes, can I assign it to the mouse middle button? 

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
spackle42
in reply to: pavel.yurevich1

Good question! (Welcome to the forums by the way Smiley Happy ) I had a quick dig and I can't find an answer myself.  Normally if there was a keyboard shortcut, I would assign that to the mouse button.  Wait and see whether anyone else has a spark of brilliance, otherwise I think this might be one for the Ideastation.

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
Message 3 of 11
JavaLodge

I am not sure if you can program mouse buttons as shortcuts in Inventor, but if you have a Logitech mouse I know you can program the mouse button to be a key press.  You could assign the middle mouse button to be the enter key, which would apply your constraint after you have made your selections.  It can even be set context sensitive, so the middle mouse button would be 'Enter' in Inventor, but remain the middle mouse button in any other program.  I am not sure if mice from other companies can be programmed in this way though.

The ENTER key. 🙂

When applying constraints, select your first pick, then your second, input value, and press ENTER to apply without closing the dialog. As memory serves, the only thing you can't do before pressing enter is rotate using the shift key. If you did do that, then you'd just have to manually press Apply.

Same goes for many different areas of inventor.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 5 of 11
JDMather

I'm not sure I follow the problem, as I use guesture based marking menu, but if you right mouse button there is an OK.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 11
stephenson513
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for pointing this out!!

The middle button wouldnt work would it?, as its used to pan and for rotating with the shift buttonSmiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
JLeeSaxon

This is a problem with other tools as well. For example, the Mirror tool. Select your object, then press enter to select your axis, then press enter to...nope, that does nothing, gotta go all the way up there and click.

Thanks to JDMather for pointing out that you can right click to get a context menu with an "Ok", that'll save me some time ... but this is still an odd little design flaw that ought to be fixed.
Lee Saxon
Ellis Photographic Design
Message 8 of 11
wimann
in reply to: JLeeSaxon

Yeah, I merely mean you can press enter instead of clicking apply.
-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 9 of 11
BarryZA
in reply to: wimann

Yes, I have a mouse button for apply! and one for esc. undo, redo and CTRL+S

I have a Logitech gaming mouse with 7 programmable buttons that you can set to whatever macros you like.

My space navigator also has 2 buttons. So for example in an assembly I click my 1 spacenav button to place a component and my other button to activate constrain, choose my 2 faces and then click my "enter" button on my mouse, and then click my "esc" button on my mouse. Then I click my CTRL+S button on my mouse. All without having to lift my hands off my mouse and spacenav.

I find this really speeds up my work in assemblies. I like to do my assemblies as manually as possible as a way of checking myself, seeing that holes line up etc.

Message 10 of 11
pavel.yurevich1
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather,

I tried the gesture-based menu. I see the benefit of tha, I'll be doing that from now on. Perhaps that is as close as it gets to the solution. 

I was hoping that I could use just a middle click on the mouse, like I do in HyperWorks. 

All,

Thanks for your help and thoughtful responses. 

Message 11 of 11

Once you get used to the marking menu you will love it. Just keep with it, and customize it for your needs. Also in the sketch environment holding left ctrl then right clicking will bring up a separate menu with all the constraints.
P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report