Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moulded Part Material

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
RKCADSERV
413 Views, 8 Replies

Moulded Part Material

Hi All,

I have a part model that is going to be injection moulded and I'm going to design the tool with Inventor Professional. I know the material that it will be moulded in and can be found in the Invemtor materials list from a search:-

1.jpg

I was hoping that when I looked at the shrinkage percent from the details it would be shown. Here's what I get:-

2.JPG

Do I have to enter this infoamtion myself? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help given.

Regards,

Rob K

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: RKCADSERV

If you select the material and then click Calculate Shrinkage - what happens.  I think shrinkage is dependent on geometry and the material properties.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
RKCADSERV
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for your reply. I just tied this but there was no update.

Regards,

Rob K

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

I didn't have Inventor in front of me - going from memory.  I will check and get back later when I have access to Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
RKCADSERV

Ok. Thanks. Look forward to your response.

Regards,

Rob k
Message 6 of 9
genejiang

Hello Rob,

The shrinkage data of selected material is empty because these shrinkage data is not tested by Autodesk moldflow material lab.

As you may know the material library in inventor is from the Moldflow material library.

If you want to shrinkage data, you can do the following methods:

• Select the similar material, which is PA66 with fiber filled, the vendor may be not the SABIC
  • You can contact the material vendor, which is SABIC, US, LLC and let them to provide the shrinkage data
  • If you know more the shrinkage data for the selected material in your company, you can type some shrinkage data manually to relative empty edit box

Best Regards,

Gene

Message 7 of 9
RKCADSERV

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a go at entering that data myself.

Best Regards,

Rob k
Message 8 of 9
LT.Rusty

One thing to be aware of - and to be very cautious about - is that plastic manufacturers do NOT like to provide hard and fast shrinkage numbers for their raw materials, because then you might actually try and hold them to those numbers!  If you look at a few data sheets for different plastics, you'll see a tremendously wide range of shrinkage numbers shown - I've seen some that show a range of .01% - 3%.  This means that, for a 1 foot long part, you might see shrinkage of anywhere between .012" at the low side all the way up to almost 3/8" at the high side. 

The reason for this is liability.  The shrinkage depends on a tremendous number of factors about the part design and the processing techniques in place in your manufacturing setup, and one single number they give would almost certainly be wildly inaccurate for your individual circumstances.  As a result, manufacturers are reluctant to give much information about shrinkage.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
RKCADSERV

Thanks gorgeous your reply. I understand this subject a little better now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report