Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion constraints - Turning a screw in a hole?

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
stoob
21374 Views, 23 Replies

Motion constraints - Turning a screw in a hole?

I am pretty familiar with Assembly constraints but I want to know how do you constrain/motion a screw or similar object to be able to turn appropriately whilst going up & down a threaded hole?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
johnsonshiue
in reply to: stoob

Hi! There might be other ways to do it. But, the most straight forward one I can think of at this moment is the following.

You have a screw part and a component with a hole. The screw needs to move along the hole axis. I assume you have already create axial Mate constraint for the two. To make the screw rotate during a translation movement, you need another trigger to do that. I do not think the screw can rotate by itself based on how Inventor asembly constraints work. The solution is to create a piggy-back part. It can be a simple box part. and it is constrained to the screw in a way that when screw moves the pb part will follow. Next add a Motion:Rotation-Translation constraint between the screw and the pb part. After that, when you drag the pb part, the screw will move and rotate.

Would it work for you?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 24
stoob
in reply to: johnsonshiue

This is a great reply although I find it quite difficult to set up, would you be able to supply a quick assembly example? Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 24
henderh
in reply to: stoob

Here you go!  (assembly attached in zip file)

You can change the pitch using the translation / rotation constraint distance parameter

Thanks, -Hugh

NG_Turning_Screw_in_hole.png

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 5 of 24
stoob
in reply to: henderh

Awesome and really neat! Thanks for that great example and working on it. I love these forums! Smiley Tongue

I had a go myself and I understand the principles to this.

It would be good if Inventor had this function written into the program where you just have to move the part you want moved and rotated, on my wish list!

S

Message 6 of 24
WillieArolf
in reply to: johnsonshiue

To make the screw rotate during a translation movement, you need another trigger to do that. I do not think the screw can rotate by itself based on how Inventor asembly constraints work

Hi,

Its kind of weird though that, you need to have another object in order for the screw to rotate. I also do not have idea as to how to make the screw rotate. There are few youtube videos showing a screw rotation. How did they to that?

If I need to animate a screw rotation. Any tips woukd be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Willie
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019
Windows 7, 64-bit
Message 7 of 24
JDMather
in reply to: WillieArolf

The dummy part is not needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 24
dhansen45
in reply to: henderh

How do I make part 7 move when I rotate part 6?

Message 9 of 24
JDMather
in reply to: dhansen45

@dhansen45 wrote:

How do I make part 7 move when I rotate part 6?

Rotation/Translation constraint
or

Screw Joint if you have Inventor Professional with Dynamic Simulation.

Can you attach your assembly here?
This is an old thread - what version of Inventor are you using today?

In the original attachment -

Expand the Relationships folder

right click on Drive_me and select Drive

click the Play button.

Is that what you wanted?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 10 of 24
dhansen45
in reply to: JDMather

I have tried your suggestions without success.  It is probably some error in my methods.  Here are 3 of the files, I will post the others in the next post.

Thanks for checking my work.

Don

Message 11 of 24
dhansen45

Here are the other 3 files for the screw thread test assembly file.  Thanks again.

Don

Message 12 of 24
JDMather

Unless you are ready to start learning Environments>Dynamic Simulation,

probably the best way to show the motion is Drive Constraint.

Expand the Relationship folder in attached assembly and right click on the Drive This constraint and select Drive and then Play.

Drive This.PNG

EESignature

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 24
dhansen45

This solution works great.  I would also like to be able to grab the screw with the mouse, rotate it and have the movable jaw move the correct amount per rotation of the screw.  Not sure if that is even possible.

Thanks alot for the solution.

Don

Message 14 of 24
brunobiazotti

Hi JD,
I tryed use the rotation / translation and works, but when I grounded the principal componente of the assembly, rot./trans don't work, the drive results an error. Do you know the answer?
Message 15 of 24
JDMather
in reply to: brunobiazotti

Attach your assembly here.

EESignature

Message 16 of 24
admaiora

Hi Bruno,

in addition to motion constraint, pig parts and dynamic simulation you can achieve that using parameters:

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 17 of 24
brunobiazotti

The pirncipal body is the welded assy, so the flange will be rotate. But when I try drive, flange move without pith rotation of the thread.

Message 18 of 24
brunobiazotti
in reply to: admaiora

show JD!

About my cylinder: I changed the value of the increment of the drive and it work! Anyway, I muth appreciated your help!

Regards
Bruno Biazotti
Message 19 of 24

Hi! This is an interesting issue. The reason why Rotation/Translation constraint does not work in this case is because the translation face does not move during drive. The RT constraint operates under the assumption that either the rotation face or translation face has to move. If neither moves, both stay still.

To fix that, I create an assembly level workplane on top of the ring face. Then edit the RT constraint so that the relationship is between the ring and the workplane (instead of the cylinder). Now drive constraint will work.

Please take a look and let me know if you have any question.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 24
ritesh4helpA4RHB

Hi Hallo am Ritesh,

i have a problem with motion movement, i want to move green bodyes to along with saft rotating movement up & down simultainiously both upside & downside green parts i will attach assembly file please help me.

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report