Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Sketch Driven Speedbumps

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
RDG3PO
230 Views, 2 Replies

More Sketch Driven Speedbumps

I'm trying to assemble a caster with a container (see picture below). I realize there are many ways to skin the cat here in this instance, but the first thing that comes to mind is creating a sketch and mating the axis of the caster to the sketch. As you can see, mating the holes won't work because the holes in the caster are slotted. 
In a previous topic I posted it was determined that the sketch has to be located in a separate part in order to constrain to it. This doesn't make much sense to me as it creates another "layer" that you have to work through in order to achieve the results. 

Can someone explain to me why Inventor is made to work this way, or possibly even offer up a quicker more streamlined way to get this caster on the model where it belongs?

Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 11.11.08 AM.png

INVENTOR 2014 STANDARD
IOSX and PARALLELS
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: RDG3PO

I would do it pretty much the same as real world equivalent.

I would put workpoint or sketch geometry in the castor plate slot location where the fastener will be.

Some use an iFeature to automate this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 3
chad38
in reply to: RDG3PO

I would put 4 cylindrical surface extrusions in the center of the obround slots on the castor, then use those surfaces to mate to the holes. But that's if the hole pattern you're mating to match the center of the obrounds.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report