Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moment of Inertia Values Clarification

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
petestrycharske
2096 Views, 1 Reply

Moment of Inertia Values Clarification

All,

This will probably be a silly question and easily answered, but I am having a hard time confirming the Inventor Moment of Inertia calculations.  When I reposition an assembly in the correct orientation to mate with a robotic arm, I am required to submit moment of inertia values.  However, the desired moment of inertia values need to be taken from the Center of Gravity (COG) and aligned with the Coordinate System.  I believe the values I am looking for would be in the iProperties >> Physical Tab >> Inertial Properties >> Center of Gravity option, but want to make sure.  Can someone please confirm if I have the proper definitions for the following?

- iProperties >> Physical Tab >> Inertial Properties >> Principal = The moments of inertia taken from the COG and aligned with the principal Axis (which may not line up with the coordinate axis)

- iProperties >> Physical Tab >> Inertial Properties >> Global = The moments of inertia taken from the Origin and aligned with the X, Y and Z Axis

- iProperties >> Physical Tab >> Inertial Properties >> Center of Gravity = The moments of inertia taken from the COG and aligned with the X, Y and Z Axis

Please correct me if I have those wrong, as I haven't yet been able to find them in the help menu.

Also, is there a way to have all the physical properties display in metric?  Or will I need to convert them by hand or some sort of iLogic rule?

Thanks in advance for any assistance and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
yosso22
in reply to: petestrycharske

If you set the units to mm and gram on the document settings ribbon, you'll have metric values.

metric-units-a.PNG

metric-units-b.PNG

As to the first part of your question, here's a link to the IV2015 help file.

Good luck.

Give Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report