Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mold tooling problem

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
bscioscia
635 Views, 7 Replies

Mold tooling problem

We've recently upgraded to Inventor 2012 (from series 10) and I'm have some problems with mold design.  I'm trying to design a very simple mold but I am having issues with the runoff surface function.  Ive attached the part so you guys can see what I'm talking about.  The mold will open on the center axis of the part.  I think I need to add a core pin to the mold cavity.  I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Brian

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: bscioscia

I noticed that your Sketch1 is not fully constrained and the wall thickness is a strange number.

This doesn't really effect your problem - but you might want to read this document

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

I also noticed that there is no face draft?
You will need a shut-off (patch surface) on one end - then do the run-off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
bscioscia
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

I download and saved that pdf.  I just glanced at it but it looks usefull.  I will read it in depth when I get some free time.  Thanks for the reply.  I can create the runoff surfaces on the sides of the part but cannot select the faces. 

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

See the picture I attached to previous post.
I assume this is the orientation you intend to use.
Inventor will automatically create the patch and run-off you click Auto Detect.

If that is not the orientation you intend to use and need a side-action mold post back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
bscioscia

I've attached an image of my mold.  Its shows the runoff surfaces.  I've also placed an insert into the molded part to simulate the assembly that this part will be molded on to.

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

@JCosta wrote:

The mold will open on the center axis of the part. 

Brian

Oops, I missed this earlier and my laptop is about out of power.
I'll be back in a bit if someone else doesn't jump in here sooner.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
bscioscia
in reply to: JDMather

I made a insert to simulate the cable that this part will be molded onto.  When I try to generate the core/cavity, I get errors telling me that I am missing hole patches.  When I add the hole patches, I get many more errors telling me that the hole patches are redundant.  I've attached a pdf showing where I'm stuck.

Thanks again.

Brian

Message 8 of 8
bscioscia

Ok, here's where Im at.  I managed to extrude runoffs of the insert face edges.  When I try to generate (preview/diagnose) the core cavity, I get errors about my edge sets having small gaps.  I'm not sure what that mean.

Brian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report