Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOLD Design - cutting surface

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Henrik_Lo
1496 Views, 19 Replies

MOLD Design - cutting surface

HI

I have a question regarding a model having a little odd design. The planed cutting surface is not

the best solution becourse there are negative edged involved. The planed surface it that one switched on for the moment.

My question are, is there a way inventor can advise a curved surface for cutting, and in optimal way or, optimal points

I know it is an difficult question, and maybe difficult to explain too.

Regards

Henrik

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Henrik_Lo
in reply to: Henrik_Lo

HI

My system:

Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013

Windows7 pro 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) I7-2720QM CPU @ 2.2GHZ
Memory 8GB

Regards

Henrik

Message 3 of 20
sam_m

I don't have 2013 so cannot open the file, but are you trying to find the optimal split-line along a curved shape?

can you use the 3d sketch "silhouette curve" command to do this?  (will give you a sketch around the part where the draw-angle is zero - ie the split-line).

help for it:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=TOOLTIP_SKETCH3DSILHOUETTECMD&language=ENU&release=20...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 4 of 20
Henrik_Lo
in reply to: sam_m

HI, ill will try to look into this feature, I had the file saved in STEP format

regards

Henrik

Message 5 of 20
Henrik_Lo

Hi

Iam able to make this silhouette curve, but I need to make a surface to cut the item, if you study the curve, there are some small lines seem to go opposite direction, is I possible to smoothen this out for making this perfect surface.

Regards Henrik

Message 6 of 20
MingweiGao

hi Henrik,

Did you use the Mold design in Inventor professional?

I suppose you will adjust the mold open direction of this part for the specific structure. Like below attached picture.

I also try to do the mold in Inventor Mold design, the results as attached.

BTW, the runoff creation command in Mold Design can search the silhouette curve and you don't to create them manually.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 7 of 20
Henrik_Lo
in reply to: MingweiGao

HI, thanks for replaying, this is exactly what iam after.  I only look into this MOLD design module briefly, but I can see
The force for this MOLD design module in inventor.

But I think I need some more training before I can use this software

Regards

Henrik

Message 8 of 20
JDMather

@Henrik_Lo wrote:

But I think I need some more training before I can use this software

Regards

Henrik

In addition to the built in Tutorials for Inventor Tooling (Mold Design) you might try this tutorial

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%202011%20Tutorial%2014.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 20
JDMather

@MingweiGao wrote:

hi Henrik,

BTW, the runoff creation command in Mold Design can search the silhouette curve and you don't to create them manually.

Can you explain how you selected the parting line for the Runnoff Surfaces without creating silhouette curve?

I selected manually, but had to have a screen capture image of the Opening Direction to use as a guide and got slightly different results.  I didn't see an automatic or easy visual way to select the parting curves.

Runoff creation.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 10 of 20
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

If I set Draft view in the derived part I get a persistant guide view, but the silhouette edges are still rough.  Did you use some other technique other than manual selection to create the runoff surfaces?

(Automatic creation didn't work for me.)

Draft.PNG

EESignature

Message 11 of 20
Henrik_Lo

HI

It is my first time to use silhouette curve, i must admit is an amassing tool, together with the MOLD software

I just used the silhouette curve command, and automatic selection a gess

I will tray to go truth you steps and tray to get the same model as you did.

Regards

Henrik Lørup

Message 12 of 20
MingweiGao

hello, JDMather, 

Please refer to the following links about using silhouette curve to create hole patch and runoff.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0000-What's_N0/0051-Tooling51/0060-Surface_60

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0000-What's_N0/0051-Tooling51/0061-Runoff_S61

BTW, for hlo's specific part, I wasn't used the whole silhouette curves of this part to create runoffs because of two small twisty regions and I connected the  adjacent runoffs directly.

Thanks,

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 13 of 20
Henrik_Lo

HI

Tangs for helping, i will study all regarding this MOLD design

Regards

Henrik

Message 14 of 20
Henrik_Lo

Hi

I need to re-open this tread.

I did some study in Mold software and Core/Cavity, but this item I do have some problems with.

I need to know if there is a way, to make the runoff easy by using the silhouette curve. I know form reply, from the command I using to generate core and Cavity, some problems are exciting.

The item “Item1.ipt” I used the “silhouette curve” and tried to make runoff surface but it is not working.

The item “Mold Design Emne 1_Mold Item-silhouette curve_MP.ipt” I did some modifications and got finely a runoff surface, but still error.

Is this item just to messy designed og what, to making the runoff surface the will do the job.

Regards

Henrik

Message 15 of 20
MingweiGao

Hello,

Can you pack and go your all Mold design files and send them to me(Mingwei.Gao@autodesk.com)? From your provided two parts, I cannot see any runoffs in them and missed some reference models. 

Thanks,

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 16 of 20
Henrik_Lo

HI

I did the pack and go, hope something will come out for it.

Regards

Henrik

Message 17 of 20
MingweiGao

Hello Herik,

I had a look at your Mold design datasets and I have to say the silhouette curves of this part are very complicated and some regions are not suit for parting lines. The current result looks not realistic for Mold manufacture. This is also the reason of core and cavity split failure. Can you modify the silhouette curve in some regions to let the parting lines smooth and then create the related runoffs?

Thanks,

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 18 of 20
Henrik_Lo

HI

Thangs for having this second look at this part, I just need to be sure that I didn’t foresee

something. I will tried to do modification much mort to be able getting the right result

Regards

Henrik 

Message 19 of 20
MingweiGao

Henrik,

If you are interesting in my testing design result of your model, please give me a Mail address and I can send it to you. Because the file size of the all design files is about 5M and I cannot post it in here.

Thanks,

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 20 of 20
Henrik_Lo

Hi, I like the testing design from you, my mail are

hlo@rmig.com

Regards

Henrik

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report