Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modify an stl file with invetor

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
giulio.tamagnini
11282 Views, 8 Replies

modify an stl file with invetor

good evening to all
for a study that I have to do, I did run a company specialized a 3D scan of some engine parts. Files that have given me are .stl that I can not modify or edit with invetor ...so my question is: how can I make these stl files like editable solids??is it possible convert stl to ipt??
thanks 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Message 3 of 9

Thank you for your quick reply,

Yes, I've tried following that guide, but at the end of the conversion I get a report of the proceeding but of the converted file there is no trace. I also tried to use Autocad 3ds Max, but the file that i get is an assembly file and not an .ipt

Message 4 of 9

Hi giulio.tamagnini,

Have you contacted the creator of the addin about this?

If you look at the link you'll see a Cust. Support email address.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 9

Hi giulio.tamagnini,

STL format is the mesh data which can only view but not edit. Please try to download the Mesh Enabler tool from Autodesk Lab: http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/inventor_mesh to convert the mesh features to Inventor Base features. The resulting Base features can then be used for further operations including drawings and measurements. This tool is free.

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li

Quality Assurance Team

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 6 of 9
grim2020
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

The labs link is no longer available and the exchange app is subscription only.  I am having the same problem but being an educational institution we do not have a subscription so I guess I'm dead in the water.

Message 7 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: grim2020

@grim2020 wrote:

The labs link is no longer available and the exchange app is subscription only.  I am having the same problem but being an educational institution we do not have a subscription so I guess I'm dead in the water.

You can email Scott Shepard.. He should be able to get you a copy.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/STL-to-Inventor-format-Mesh-Enabler-for-Students/td-p...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 9
jfelker81
in reply to: grim2020

here ya go, try this

Message 9 of 9
jfelker81
in reply to: jfelker81

nevermind it wont let me attach it, if you need the .msi intaller for the mesh tool just send me a message

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums