Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modelling a cable

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anthony
948 Views, 4 Replies

Modelling a cable

I was wondering the best way to model a steel tensioner cable in Inventor. The assembly I have designed is of a cable fixed between two brackets which are fastened on two structural beams. I am looking accurately model the cable attachment on the brackets. My inital thought would be to extrude the length of cable through a pre-defined path between the bracket fixing holes however this would not represent a 'true life scenario'. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013

64-bit HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz

12.0GB RAM, ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL)

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: Anthony

Post a picture of what you're trying to accomplish.  You call it a tensioner cable, which leads me to think that it will mostly be straight (i.e. under tension), so I'm not understanding the "true life scenario".

Message 3 of 5
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

...extrude the length of cable through a pre-defined path

That describes Sweep, not Extrude.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
Anthony
in reply to: SBix26

Hi, thank you for your reply. Please see attached screenshot of the intended result. The cables will be under tension as you have stated and will therefore will be represented straight, I may be asked to produce flexible cable as well for further design development which is why I asked the original question. Thank you.

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz
Message 5 of 5
rhasell

Hi

The Cable is not the problem here, simple extrude/sweep, the issue is the attachments.

You will need to model up the fittings and tensioner (Shackles, rigging screws, Swage ends, etc) Have a look at "VanBeest" there are a lot of fixings there (All green pin lifting equipment), the rest you will have to look at grabcad, and do your own modeling.

This will give you a better representation of the cable.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report