Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling Screw Threads

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
burkar0615
4413 Views, 23 Replies

Modeling Screw Threads

Greetings all.

I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to properly model a screw thread around the point of the screw.

I have gotten the coil to taper to the point, however, I'm unable to get thread to terminate properly. 

Essentially, the pitch remains the same as it moves down the taper, but the major/minor is diminishing until it terminates cleanly at the point.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
JDMather
in reply to: burkar0615

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.

Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.
Save the file with the red EOP in a rolled up state.

Attach the file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 24
burkar0615
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry about that previous post.  Hopefully this helps, and pardon any sloppiness as it is a WIP.

Message 4 of 24
mcgyvr

any reason you are modeling the threads versus just using the thread tool in Inventor?

Modeling a real thread versus just the cosmetic representation that the thead tool/feature will just slow Inventor down some..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 24
burkar0615

Yes, there is an actual reason for it.  I work for a company that for years has outsourced their prints or simply done them in 2D. They want to come up to speed and keep up with their competition. 

Seeing as we're a company who produces manufactures screws, it's fairly important.

Message 6 of 24
msklein

So you're talking just one screw per drawing, not an assy with many multiple instances of screws. Just to clairify.

Also best answers come when you define which version of IV? you are using, as in (2012). This becomes a bigger thing latter this month with new version out, some guys wait to update for upto around 6 months.

MSK

Message 7 of 24
burkar0615

Yes, it is one screw per drawing, not an assembly with multiple instances of it.  I am currently using IV 2012 Pro. 

And any extra information you need, feel free to ask.  I can't figure it out, and I can't expect anyone else to unless I tell them what they need to know, and since I don't know what to do, I don't know what to tell. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 24
mcgyvr

Just a suggestion..

Are you planning on making this an ipart?... (So you can cover all screw lengths in one ipt file) You could even cover all sizes/lengths of each type in one ipart factory (like #2,#4,#6,#8... 1/4" long, 3/8" long,etc...)

With some creativity 1 drawing could cover every length/size in 1 drawing versus a drawing for each size and each length.. (A table could be put on there and you could just dimension the length as "L" and then call out the specific "L" dimensions in the table,etc..)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 24
burkar0615

To be completely honest, I've not done much work with iparts, so the concept of how to do it is not something I'm familiar with.

But yes, if I could get the thread to model out properly, it would definetly be something worth considering.  The leaner, the better. 

Message 10 of 24
burkar0615

And, if it's a completely lost cause and not even a possibility to model, I'll just tell them that and go back to doing it 2D.  I know it can be done in Solidworks, but my experience in it is zero.

And even in looking closely at our sister companies prints, the thread is maintaining the same major/minor throughout the point, it just looks like they're better at hiding it. 

So maybe *sigh* it has to be in 2D. 

Message 11 of 24
JDMather

@burkar0615 wrote:

I know it can be done in Solidworks 

I don't think there is any functional difference between SWx and Inventor with regards to this geometry.

Do you have a close up picture of an actual part you could post so that I don't have to make a trip to the hardware store?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 12 of 24
Ray_Feiler

I just downloaded this from http://www.mcmaster.com/ is it correct?

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 13 of 24
JDMather
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

No.

Take a look at the original file.

or do you mean is it correct as a SHCS.
I originally read this as is this what the OP wants.

In any case, I don't think a thread can be run right up to the clamping face.

For a manufacturer I think they want to model exactly as produced.

EESignature

Message 14 of 24
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: JDMather

Okay, I see. I think McMaster-Carr uses SolidWorks. Attached is the closest I could find on their site with a two minute search. I know the head is incorrect.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 15 of 24
burkar0615
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

Seeing as our camera takes terrible closeups, this is the closest I could find of a T17 point showing what I mean regarding how the thread diminishes near the point.

Message 16 of 24
Doug_DuPont

Here is a very crude quick screw ex. Sometimes you need to think outside the box.

open the file and drag the EOP marker to the bottom. I know, I know the point is not correct. But you will see how to do it.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 17 of 24
burkar0615
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Yeah, that's really, really close, and, functionally, it's the closest I've seen.  Unfortunately, our company stresses the importance of a very, very sharp point (otherwise, "you may as well be trying to screw in a nail"), and that's where I'm encountering the majority of my problems.  I'd thought of doing 1 revolution, changing the pitch, another revolution, but then I'd just end up with a stair step.

And I haven't even begun on the Aster threads yet.  Maybe 2D will be the way to go, as much as I hate to admit it.   I think a well modeled graphical representation, when handed to a newer machinist, can be an eyeopener for them and give them a basis of comparison.

Message 18 of 24
Doug_DuPont

I made that in about 2 minutes. I don't have your specs what you needed and I don't have the time to do the work for you. Just wanted to let you know if you put some time on this you can make this screw. With some planning you could make an I-part and cover every screw size you would need.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 19 of 24
burkar0615
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Nor would I expect you to do the work for me, and, as I said previously, the problem exists in the tip and how the coil wraps without the pitch changing.  Once I figure it out, I do intend to make it into an iPart, but until I can figure it out with a true point on it, it just becomes a backburner.

But believe me, I do appreciate your example and I intend to, hopefully, work with it a little bit today to see if I can get it to adapt to what I need.

Message 20 of 24
1krazykiwi
in reply to: mcgyvr

I agree - Thread tool is a really great tool in Inventor.

I use it to model all my own skrews etc.

Kudos.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report