Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model Boat Hull Lofting Issue

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
598 Views, 2 Replies

Model Boat Hull Lofting Issue

i've been teaching and using Inventor for almost 7 years, but mostly in a mechanical and metal fab aspect. I'm trying to learn some more advanced topics surfacing.

I have an incomplete wooden boat model I'm trying to model in order to find the dimesions for a display case for it, and for the fun and challenge. The first part of the hull is causing me issues in that I can't loft half of it in order to mirror and proceed. The only part, when lofting from the prow back, is the aft geometry.

I've tried several different approaches but all to no avail. Now, I'd like to find out what associations/constraints I'm missing in order to get this to work or if this approach is even feasible. I've had succes in lofting the the rear, then surface patching it, but I'd really like to know why this methodology won't work.

Now for the caveat for those with patience. I'd really like know the logic behind why this doesn't work instead of an 'Here, I fixed it and it works'.

Thanks in advance for your help. ~R

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi ROgdenGOOS,

I was able to get the hull to loft quite nicely using Sketch15 and 3DSketch3 as the sections and 3DSketch3 as a rail.

If I tried to use Sketch2 through 9 for the sections, then I think I saw the issues you mentioned. I think you'd need to create additional sections using the workpoint and workplanes you created to further define the stern, in order to loft this way, but I didn't dig into it that deep.

I've attached my version here, created with Inventor 2012.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thanks Curtis, I didn't think to attack it from that angle, and it did work pretty nicely.

This will probably I'm still going to try to piece together the loft in the X direction because it's bugging me that I can't figure out why it won't work that way. Also, doing the loft on the Y axis loses some the ribbing profile I had into the other sketches. ~R

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report